Ready for urchin?

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am possibly buying a Halloween urchin tomorrow but I want to see if my tank has enough algae for it. It’s about 2 months old. I haven’t cleaned the glass yet, it is teaming with copepods. My parameters have been solid, doing water changes of 15-20% weekly etc.

Think an urchin has enough food here (only white light)

E6CF5E25-690C-41C2-94CD-1871DE87D622.jpeg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say not much to feed them for long. They can be supplentally fed with algae pellets, nori, etc and I believe most are omnivores and will eat leftover fish food/detritus also.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say not much to feed them for long. They can be supplentally fed with algae pellets, nori, etc and I believe most are omnivores and will eat leftover fish food/detritus also.
I have heard this before just nervous if they don’t take them it will starve. Have you feed by just holding food near them?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard this before just nervous if they don’t take them it will starve. Have you feed by just holding food near them?

Never successfully lol. I have some in very clean tanks(as far as algae) though and they seem to do fine long-term but I feed algae pellets and weight down some nori on the bottom near the glass they usually find it.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never successfully lol. I have some in very clean tanks(as far as algae) though and they seem to do fine long-term but I feed algae pellets and weight down some nori on the bottom near the glass they usually find it.
Do you ever QT them or just drip acclimate and toss in?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever QT them or just drip acclimate and toss in?

This is not advice or a suggestion of best practices, but I just float to temp and drop them in if they have been shipped. I gave up dip acclimating a long time ago. I have several different systems and frequently move them between systems which have different parameters(though similar) and never have an issue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back