Ready, Set...Reef. Changing from FOWLR to Reef

Dwight

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
16
Reaction score
12
Location
New Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Board,

Just joined the board in my quest for more information, resources, fellowship and, hopefully, a little empathy :(. Information and resources because I learned the HARD way with my fowlr tank that ignorance and impatience is COSTLY, aggravating, discouraging and cruel to marine life and COSTLY. Did I mention that it's COSTLY

So..armed with a truck load of trial and error and a little information..I'm moving from the 150 gal fowlr that I started 2 years ago

View media item 1387
View media item 1386
View media item 1384
View media item 1380
To a fish and reef tank (currently being run fallow)

View media item 1395
View media item 1394
Is this where I tell you a little about the system?

It's 150 gal glass aquarium w a 40 gal wet/dry, Reef Octopus Classic 150 EXT skimmer (probably shoulda gone bigger), Aqua Euro Max 1/4 HP chiller, ATI 60" Sunpower light fixtrue, Jebao dosing pump and slave, Nitrate/GFO reactor, a UV sterilizer, Tunze 6065 Power Heads x 2, a bunch of live rock and sand

View media item 1399
Hoping to get some Coraline algae going - I went to my lfs and took some scrapings and, as you can see, nothing yet.

View media item 1397
Might be the huge water changes I did after running starting fallow and trying to get my nitrates and phosphates under control. They were always at sewage treatment plant levels. I think I figured it out though. Took the 16" eel and the puffer back to the lfs, turned and vacuumed the sand bed and moved the LR while doing it, got rid of the bio-balls,

View media item 1398
and a salt water mixing station in the basement that's piped up to the tank room.

20170709_150650.jpg


I look forward to the journey and will update regularly.

Thanks for checking in.

Stone template 2.jpg
 
Welcome to R2R Dwight and thanks for the details....looks like a great re-start.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new