Ready, Set...Reef. Changing from FOWLR to Reef

Dwight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Board,

Just joined the board in my quest for more information, resources, fellowship and, hopefully, a little empathy :(. Information and resources because I learned the HARD way with my fowlr tank that ignorance and impatience is COSTLY, aggravating, discouraging and cruel to marine life and COSTLY. Did I mention that it's COSTLY

So..armed with a truck load of trial and error and a little information..I'm moving from the 150 gal fowlr that I started 2 years ago

View media item 1387
View media item 1386
View media item 1384
View media item 1380
To a fish and reef tank (currently being run fallow)

View media item 1395
View media item 1394
Is this where I tell you a little about the system?

It's 150 gal glass aquarium w a 40 gal wet/dry, Reef Octopus Classic 150 EXT skimmer (probably shoulda gone bigger), Aqua Euro Max 1/4 HP chiller, ATI 60" Sunpower light fixtrue, Jebao dosing pump and slave, Nitrate/GFO reactor, a UV sterilizer, Tunze 6065 Power Heads x 2, a bunch of live rock and sand

View media item 1399
Hoping to get some Coraline algae going - I went to my lfs and took some scrapings and, as you can see, nothing yet.

View media item 1397
Might be the huge water changes I did after running starting fallow and trying to get my nitrates and phosphates under control. They were always at sewage treatment plant levels. I think I figured it out though. Took the 16" eel and the puffer back to the lfs, turned and vacuumed the sand bed and moved the LR while doing it, got rid of the bio-balls,

View media item 1398
and a salt water mixing station in the basement that's piped up to the tank room.

20170709_150650.jpg

I look forward to the journey and will update regularly.

Thanks for checking in.

Stone template 2.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Dwight and thanks for the details....looks like a great re-start.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back