Ready to start adding fish to the 180

Mussin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 has just gotten over the uglies. I only have a pair of small clowns in there and cuc. Looking to add 4 tangs or so and some other fish... Looking for some suggestions. Looking for some abnormal tangs.. I'd like to add the following - yellow eye kole, blonde naso,??

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add some easier tangs to start while the tank takes time to really settle. It would be rough to lose some rarer tangs.

But tangs are typically added last due to aggression. Add your more peaceful fish first and then end with tangs, typically. But with a 180g, there should be enough room for all the fish to find safe space.

OP
OP
Mussin

Mussin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the plan.. All of the fish are going in at the same time. Its going to be heavily stocked with fish, mostly Tangs. Going into a 180 with Lots of swinning room.

Orange shoulder, Blonde Naso, Kole, Mimic, Yellow/purple, and last a Powder brown. Id really love to add a Clown tang in there as well.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember your tank might have gotten over the ugly stage, but you system is not able to handle a shock of that many fish at one time. You may very well start an ammonia cycle all over again until the good bacteria can produce energies numbers to correct the issue.

OP
OP
Mussin

Mussin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you plan on getting them? LFS or online?

I will be getting them Wholesale. They will all be small. Yes I know it will be overstocked.. Seems like my tanks always are, lol I have a BIG sump and BIG skimmer to handle the bioload. I love the look of lots of fish

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the fish are going in at the same time.

I've heard that you never want to more than double your bioload, since it takes time for the biofilter to increase to accomodate new fish. You might experience ammonia spikes if too many get added at once.

DISCLAIMER: I've not experienced this myself; it could be an old wives tale I'm spreading. I did see a tiny bit of green on the test the day after adding my blenny to 2 clowns, but that could have been testing error.

OP
OP
Mussin

Mussin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to add a few here and there but I'm worried about aggression and my thought is if I put them in all at once there won't be any established territory.

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini Tangs and Scopas Tangs would be good for that tank, they don’t get more than 10 inches long and they should have a good amount of swimming room in that tank. Not a tang, but a blue throat tigger would also make a nice addition as they are probably the most peaceful and reef-safe trigger available. Try not to get so much huge fish so all can have swimming room. :)

Best of Luck

Back