OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I beat it was by overfeeding, dosing phosphate and adding some of my lfs green hair algae. With this you have to take a hit in order to beat it.
Actually, I think I have beat it or its on its last limb as green algae is the dominant algae in my tank. Only a bit of brown on the sand. Thank you for your recommendation though. I have been battling Dinos for quite some time but luckily @brandon429 and @merereef helped me along

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I think I have beat it or its on its last limb as green algae is the dominant algae in my tank. Only a bit of brown on the sand. Thank you for your recommendation though. I have been battling Dinos for quite some time but luckily @brandon429 and @merereef helped me along
Ya. It will require a little bit of work getting the tank back to normal, but IMO getting other algaes to fight it is the best way

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here are some pics after a water change. Hair algae is now the common algae. Still have a but of dinos lurking on the sand but thats it.

Snapchat-282840756.jpg Snapchat-1551376814.jpg Snapchat-703955342.jpg Snapchat-2029455868.jpg Snapchat-1328483540.jpg Snapchat-785064446.jpg Snapchat-1357228462.jpg Snapchat-1236430560.jpg Snapchat-1101383274.jpg Snapchat-364320647.jpg Snapchat-956339411.jpg Snapchat-867324458.jpg Snapchat-1571627231.jpg Snapchat-709701412.jpg Snapchat-334943858.jpg

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another water change this week. Dinos still present on sand but not on rocks. Added a cuc and hair algae has minimized. Do you guys believe I should still be doing water changes?

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How were you able to bring down their numbers?
I believe the tank has stabilized for the most part, rocks and sand holding benefical bacteria are doing a big part. Also I added two of these guys in egg crate to help take levels down as well. I do not use gfo though.
I can post a picture if you want to see my current tank plus filtration.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Nothing much has changed, My cuc is doing a great job with the hair algae. Dinos are present only on the sand and one rock. Not sure if its related but the rock with dinos is a man made dry rock I bought from my LFS. Also removed my hang on refugium.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Nothing much has changed, My cuc is doing a great job with the hair algae. Dinos are present only on the sand and one rock. Not sure if its related but the rock with dinos is a man made dry rock I bought from my LFS. Also removed my hang on refugium.
I found that a 1 micron filter sock will remove them (Ovata pass through a 5 micron sock in my experience) and you might want to try this size for next water change.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that a 1 micron filter sock will remove them (Ovata pass through a 5 micron sock in my experience) and you might want to try this size for next water change.
Will give it a try!
I plan on scrubbing rocks and stirring sand then siphoning all the water through the 1 micron sock into my sump

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will give it a try!
I plan on scrubbing rocks and stirring sand then siphoning all the water through the 1 micron sock into my sump

I siphoned the "brown" sand/water directly into the sock without stirring it up and was pleased to see that no dinos reconstituted in my waste water; good luck, reads like you have also had a long struggle.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I siphoned the "brown" sand/water directly into the sock without stirring it up and was pleased to see that no dinos reconstituted in my waste water; good luck, reads like you have also had a long struggle.

Got it! Will order one and do a water change next week like that

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, guess its time for an update. Dinos have receded even more but still on the dry rock. Sand bed is white as possible. (Bought a sand sifting goby to help clean it up). gave away my Melanarus wrasse, sad to see him go but he was just too much of a bully and loved to eat my cuc. Will post pics tmr.

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, guess its time for an update. Dinos have receded even more but still on the dry rock. Sand bed is white as possible. (Bought a sand sifting goby to help clean it up). gave away my Melanarus wrasse, sad to see him go but he was just too much of a bully and loved to eat my cuc. Will post pics tmr.

Hello alex.. if you still are having dino issues.. ive found a new method thats a little simpler.. so you know how we are encouraging algae to out compete the dinos? Well if you dosed silicate... product by brightwell spongexcell its called this will encourage the tank to frow DIATOMS.. its a brown algea you get when you first set up your reef tank.. this OUTCOMPETES THE dinos and sets the reef back in balance found out by a member called @taricha

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello alex.. if you still are having dino issues.. ive found a new method thats a little simpler.. so you know how we are encouraging algae to out compete the dinos? Well if you dosed silicate... product by brightwell spongexcell its called this will encourage the tank to frow DIATOMS.. its a brown algea you get when you first set up your reef tank.. this OUTCOMPETES THE dinos and sets the reef back in balance found out by a member called @taricha
thank you, fortunately for me dinos are barely holding on, I have hair and green algae growing and taking up space. I have also found that my goby cleans every speck of sand so dinos arent growing there either.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I never forgot about your perseverance here A

i know u had something go wrong during a water change, hope that rebounded but I saw this today and wanted to link whatever I could here since you have worked so hard.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I never forgot about your perseverance here A

i know u had something go wrong during a water change, hope that rebounded but I saw this today and wanted to link whatever I could here since you have worked so hard.
Thank you so much, Sadly something did go wrong during a water change and i have only 1 fish remaining :(
On the bright side coraline has been growing like crazy, and if i dont clean the glass it will start growing there after only a week. I still have Phosphate high at around 0.6 so I have bought some gfo online but it will take a while to get here. Every thing has started to work itself out. Hopefully ater this quarantine I can go get some nice corals and fish for the tank.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.8%
Back