Real Salt water

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. I have my little nano salt tank but I live literally by the ocean

Can I start acclimating my tank to the real deal or everything will crash? No more buying salt water from the LRS. ?

C7AD7952-D673-4111-8B2A-B7C46BE7FBFA.jpeg

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. I have my little nano salt tank but I live literally by the ocean

Can I start acclimating my tank to the real deal or everything will crash? No more buying salt water from the LRS. ?

C7AD7952-D673-4111-8B2A-B7C46BE7FBFA.jpeg
There's a few potential issues with natural salt water:
1. There can be pollutants, from run-offs nearby and so on.
2. Salinity and concentration of elements could vary. If it is near-ish to a river mouth, at low and high tides salinity and stuff could vary. Rain could also lower it.
3. There is possibility of bringing unwanted life into your tank, including diseases.
4. You may also be bringing in straight up toxins. Back when I was based at an Marine Sciences institute, I had a chat with someone who did an experiment there and he had to make sure to have very fine filters that should prevent Cyanobacteria and cyanotoxins from entering his experimental systems, or something along those lines. I can't remember exactly what the case was as it was a while ago, but long story short he was especially worried during summer and/or after storms.

Just a few considerations. Not saying don't do it, but there are risks.

OP
OP
Coralcitos

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a few potential issues with natural salt water:
1. There can be pollutants, from run-offs nearby and so on.
2. Salinity and concentration of elements could vary. If it is near-ish to a river mouth, at low and high tides salinity and stuff could vary. Rain could also lower it.
3. There is possibility of bringing unwanted life into your tank, including diseases.
4. You may also be bringing in straight up toxins. Back when I was based at an Marine Sciences institute, I had a chat with someone who did an experiment there and he had to make sure to have very fine filters that should prevent Cyanobacteria and cyanotoxins from entering his experimental systems, or something along those lines. I can't remember exactly what the case was as it was a while ago, but long story short he was especially worried during summer and/or after storms.

Just a few considerations. Not saying don't do it, but there are risks.
Thank you for the info. I am going to test the water and see parameters. Just curious

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back