Really frustrated and confused with my nano

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OKAY so my 70 gallon and 125 gallon are doing great! BUT MY FREAKIN NANO is a different story.

The rock flowers seem happy in there as does my wall hammer coral. But my zoas are closed.

I had 3 clown fish pass, I assumed it was cause of they were so thin. Never found bodies.

Yesterday I tested water and amm was 0, nitrite was 0 and nitrate was 10.

So I added a randalls and rainford goby. Both MIA today. No bodies. No response to food in the tank. Just gone.

Only living creature in there is a conch, hermit crab (2) and an emerald. Am I missing something? Like where the heck do my fish keep going!!

Emerald is a little bigger than a quarter including legs, I wouldnt think he is big enough to go after them but they were small to begin with, could he be killing and eating them?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish could be hiding in the rock; dig out a flashlight and look for bodies. And I wouldn't add any more fish until you figure out whatever is up.

And no, it's not the crabs (unless the fish were already dead, in which case they'll always avail themselves of a free meal).

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the nano, does it have good enough oxygen exchange for a fish. I keep my nano fishless and just dose phyto daily. Honestly it's becoming just a very pretty pod culture

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank size, tank age, pictures and parameters might help provide some more possibilities, really not much to go on here.

I don't even test on my 15 gallon and RFA's and zoa's are happy and fish don't die. Something is wrong with your tank, but need info to help solve.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank size, tank age, pictures and parameters might help provide some more possibilities, really not much to go on here.

I don't even test on my 15 gallon and RFA's and zoa's are happy and fish don't die. Something is wrong with your tank, but need info to help solve.
Its a few months old, 15 gallons, ammonia is 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5.

And yeah theres something really up with it not sure what! Ill get a picture in a few
Fish could be hiding in the rock; dig out a flashlight and look for bodies. And I wouldn't add any more fish until you figure out whatever is up.

And no, it's not the crabs (unless the fish were already dead, in which case they'll always avail themselves of a free meal).
I did this with my flash light, Im a patrol officer so its a very high powered one. No sign of them! And yeah Im not adding more fish, thought the clowns were just sick but with these two vanishing Im like yeah something isnt right. Tons of visible pods
What size is the nano, does it have good enough oxygen exchange for a fish. I keep my nano fishless and just dose phyto daily. Honestly it's becoming just a very pretty pod culture
im wondering the same, Im going to pick up a bigger air stone when I get paid

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering about the 3 clowns as they don´t do very well with odd numbers so the stress from that could contribute to the deaths.
I agree with this, usually 2 will end up bullying the 3rd one

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering about the 3 clowns as they don´t do very well with odd numbers so the stress from that could contribute to the deaths.
So I had a pair, one died (was so thin) so I got another clown and that died then two days later my last clown died. Only ever had two at a time

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what model nano?

dumb question but any chance for the fish to jump into the AIO chamber and get by the prefilter.

odd that you would not see any bodies.

if you have some gulf rock in there and there's some odd popping or clicking going on maybe a mantis shrimp is making meals of them. Not uncommon they could be hitchhikers.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what model nano?

dumb question but any chance for the fish to jump into the AIO chamber and get by the prefilter.

odd that you would not see any bodies.

if you have some gulf rock in there and there's some odd popping or clicking going on maybe a mantis shrimp is making meals of them. Not uncommon they could be hitchhikers.
Checked the filter and everything, its an innovative marine. And no clicking, the rock is from my 70 that I didnt need, it was dry carib sea rock

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you put your hands in your tank after using sunscreen as Ive heard some brands use an ingredient that is toxic to some marine life.
Nope I dont use sun screen or lotion! Thats why Im so confused!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold on more fish for at least 40 days and ghost feed to get those nitrates up to help the zoas.
for sure holding off on fish. And sounds good, Ill start giving them food every day

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back