Really low nitrates ? feeding heavy

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so on my quest to raise my nitrates I have upped my feeding. I only have two clowns and a hermit clean up crew. Feeding half a cube of frozen mysis daily.

loads are left uneaten. Cuc do what they can.
GHA is speeding up and nitrates haven’t budged.

do you think I just need another fish ?
Tank is approx 14 month old.
kh 8.3
Mg1320
ca400
No3 0.5
Po4 undetectable (Salifert test)

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a reasonable amount of fish given you aquarium size. If you are growing green hair algae then nutrients are available. Is your problem that there is hair algae, or is it that you aren't hitting the numbers you would like? How do your animals look? Are the corals growing?

OP
OP
Nanolifeuk

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a reasonable amount of fish given you aquarium size. If you are growing green hair algae then nutrients are available. Is your problem that there is hair algae, or is it that you aren't hitting the numbers you would like? How do your animals look? Are the corals growing?
Corals are growing (slowly). The GHA isn’t a problem, it’s easy enough to control manually. It’s just a shame that it’s growing quicker without nitrate levels going up.

I think maybe between the corals, algae and filtration my nitrates are being soaked up?

algae growing quicker is a sign of more no3 available so I’m confused why it’s not risen on test kit (considering I have doubled feeding regime)

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the algae is simply removing the nitrate so it doesn't accumulate. You could try using amino acids or other more concentrated food sources for your coral but it doesn't sound like you have a serious problem.

Back