Really need some help...

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I've been struggling with copious issues with my two tanks.

I am battling dino's in my main tank for probably around 6 months. I unfortunately let the nutrients bottom out and I've not been able to stabilize them again. I replace my filter media daily to help remove dino's, I have added a UV sterilizer and most recently I have begun dosing dinoX. I have discontinued my UV sterilizer per the directions as well as some other stuff mentioned. I continue to dose nitrates and phosphates daily, using trisodium phosphate and sodium nitrate mixed to slurries that Randy Holmes has generated - I dose 10 mL of each solution which raised the nitrates ~ 10ppm and phosphate by .1. Obviously phosphates bind to the rocks and such so it's not directly related to the levels in the water column. The nitrates on the other hand don't stick around long and by the next day they're bottomed out again. I don't know if I should be dosing more nitrates ? more phosphates? I am on my second round of DinoX and hoping that the slime goes away. If I was to beat it... I am not sure if I should continue to dose nitrates and phosphates afterwards.

My frag tank is having another algae issue... I am battling red cyanobacteria (red slime) I have used chemi clean with great success and my tank was booming again however, it's again getting overrun and I can't keep up. I am losing frags daily as the slime is covering and suffocating the corals. I continue to dose nitrates and phosphate to readable levels. This tank is a bare bottom and has swallowed up several fish unfortunately - I keep after it daily replacing filter media etc etc. The tank is a 34 gallon with a 15 gallon sump and roughly 5 pounds of live rock in display and marinepure bioballs.

I can state some parameters that are the same for both tanks:
Alk: 9.0
Calcium: 450
Mg: 1350
salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.0 - 8.5

I am wondering if I should be getting a Triton ICP test... could something be leaching my water from my RO system?

Any additional information you may find helpful just ask.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fortunate enough to not have to deal with dinos. But the 2nd tank with the cyano to me sounds like you need more surface area for bacteria, or you are feeding too much. Also the deaths could contribute and make things worse.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fortunate enough to not have to deal with dinos. But the 2nd tank with the cyano to me sounds like you need more surface area for bacteria, or you are feeding too much. Also the deaths could contribute and make things worse.
I thought about adding more rock into the sump.. but the mediapire claims to equal like 80 pounds of rock

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dosing phosphates, NoPox and coral foods will only feed/fuel dinos.
Dinos:
Prepare for a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off for 5 days and st night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing phosphates, NoPox and coral foods will only feed/fuel dinos.
Dinos:
Prepare for a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off for 5 days and st night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights and work your white lights up slowly
I was nervous about lights out but I've seen this process work very well.

When I'm done with this should I dose phosphates ? How do I ensure my phosphates don't bottom out ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was nervous about lights out but I've seen this process work very well.

When I'm done with this should I dose phosphates ? How do I ensure my phosphates don't bottom out ?
Test for phosphates thereafter and determine IF you need to dose

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What are ways to avoid these nutrients bottoming out ?
feeding and you CAN feed fish while treating dino. Phosphate as a by-product of mineralization of dead matter such as plants, bacteria, feces, uneaten food, fish slime etc. are all internal contributors. Neophos is a good product to accomplish this also which raises P04 in a day at about 0.02

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about adding more rock into the sump.. but the mediapire claims to equal like 80 pounds of rock

Seems like it would be more than enough, but you might need more because of the bare bottom. Or perhaps feeding too much?

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feeding and you CAN feed fish while treating dino. Phosphate as a by-product of mineralization of dead matter such as plants, bacteria, feces, uneaten food, fish slime etc. are all internal contributors. Neophos is a good product to accomplish this also which raises P04 in a day at about 0.02
Should I remove my protein skimmer ?

What should I dosed for bacteria ? Bio spiral? Could I dose phyto?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should I remove my protein skimmer ?

What should I dosed for bacteria ? Bio spiral? Could I dose phyto?
Bacter 7 works well and run skimmer at least during the day

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have proper live rock from the ocean or did you start with dead rocks and bacteria in a bottle?
At least with Dino it seems that often times it’s due to a lack of competition (biodiversity) that let it run rampant.
If that’s the case I would suggest seeding the tank with some live rock shipped in water directly from the ocean :)

Personally I wouldn’t dump down a bunch of chemicals in to the tank but rather try and figure out the cause of your problems. If that’s not corrected the symptoms will undoubtedly Return.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have proper live rock from the ocean or did you start with dead rocks and bacteria in a bottle?
At least with Dino it seems that often times it’s due to a lack of competition (biodiversity) that let it run rampant.
If that’s the case I would suggest seeding the tank with some live rock shipped in water directly from the ocean :)

Personally I wouldn’t dump down a bunch of chemicals in to the tank but rather try and figure out the cause of your problems. If that’s not corrected the symptoms will undoubtedly Return.
Tank is almost 2 years old. This issue didn't always exist. Rock was dry and cured for 1.5 months before anything was introduced. I've had loads of coraline growing and than bottomed out and now it's **** :(

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed a full cube to the tank today.. my fish seemed to LOVE it..

My snails went crazy too!

My substrate was cleared of slimy dino today!! I just need to continue fighting the fight

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate tested at 25 and phosphate .03

Here's what the tank looks like. I won't dose nitrate or phosphate today but will feed another cube

IMG_20201010_123441.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back