Reaolution drops when I post pictures

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm not sure why, or if I'm doing something wrong, but the resolution of my pictures drops quite a bit when I upload them here on r2r. I never really noticed this before, but I've bought a nice new camera and now the resolution is noticeably lower (lower than what I see on my computer) when I upload pictures here. Does anyone have any idea why, or what I may need to be doing differently? Thanks!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about an example of 2 pics, one from your old camera and one from your new one?

I upload quite a few pics in the Reef Squad Lounge and I use several different cameras.

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
How about an example of 2 pics, one from your old camera and one from your new one?

I upload quite a few pics in the Reef Squad Lounge and I use several different cameras.

I don't have the old camera anymore, unfortunately. Here's an example of a picture I just took a little while ago. It's hard to explain, but there is far less definition/detail once I post pictures here compared to how they look on my computer. I have a full frame mirrorless camera and would like to take advantage of its capabilities if I can.

_MG_4546.JPG

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the old camera anymore, unfortunately. Here's an example of a picture I just took a little while ago. It's hard to explain, but there is far less definition/detail once I post pictures here compared to how they look on my computer. I have a full frame mirrorless camera and would like to take advantage of its capabilities if I can.

_MG_4546.JPG
I’ve noticed that also even with videos I upload to YouTube and share here.. I tried the raw setting on my iPhone 14 Pro Max and the site tells me the photo is too large.. oh well lol

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I’ve noticed that also even with videos I upload to YouTube and share here.. I tried the raw setting on my iPhone 14 Pro Max and the site tells me the photo is too large.. oh well lol

Yeah, I've had to crop a few pictures here and there in order to post them before. Fortunately, most of my pictures need to be cropped a bit anyway so that usually isn't an issue.

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Oh wow.
Do you go to ether of the stores there/here?
Yeah, I prefer Salty Aquatics. I've been friends with the owner there for a long time so that's my "go to" LFS. Haven't been to TFH in many years. They kinda rubbed me the wrong way a long time ago. No biggie, I'll spend my money somewhere else lol.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I prefer Salty Aquatics. I've been friends with the owner there for a long time so that's my "go to" LFS. Haven't been to TFH in many years. They kinda rubbed me the wrong way a long time ago. No biggie, I'll spend my money somewhere else lol.
Yea I've heard the same thing from alot of ppl.
I'll usually go to both when I'm there.
Tfh does more freshwater. I usually go there more too but I might be getting a weekend job there lol.

They also usually have better coral prices. I bought a 5 head torch for 78$

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

_MG_4546.JPG

the full resolution of a Full frame camera would make the pages crazy slow to load and the pictures would be too large for viewing.What I always did since my old DSLR to full Fram to my current mirrorless full frame is to reduce the image dimensions to around 1200 on the widest side (120x800 if you haven't cropped to any different ratio and then reduce the image size while saving to an image size of around 1MB or less, and shots appear with good resolution on most screens as screen viewing does not need more than that and I doubt you'll notice significant image quality difference for regular viewing.
beautiful shot, would crop a bit tighter before resizing as the added empty space around is using up non needed resolution or space

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
the full resolution of a Full frame camera would make the pages crazy slow to load and the pictures would be too large for viewing.What I always did since my old DSLR to full Fram to my current mirrorless full frame is to reduce the image dimensions to around 1200 on the widest side (120x800 if you haven't cropped to any different ratio and then reduce the image size while saving to an image size of around 1MB or less, and shots appear with good resolution on most screens as screen viewing does not need more than that and I doubt you'll notice significant image quality difference for regular viewing.
beautiful shot, would crop a bit tighter before resizing as the added empty space around is using up non needed resolution or space

Thanks, I'll try that. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back