Reason For High Alk

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone,

I just tested my alkalinity with my hanna checker and the result was 11.4 DKH. I use Fritz blue box salt which mixes between 8 and 9 DKH. What could be the reason for this? Thanks :)

Joey S.

OP
OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test the saltwater again before do water change
The only 2 things I can think of that could possibly cause this is the fact that my nitrates were pretty high (around 15-20 ppm) from feeding roids. However I stopped because I didn’t see much improvement and it was polluting the tank, so maybe the consumption of the nitrates?? And secondly I’m waiting on my carbon filter for my RO unit, it was time to change it. SoI’ve been topping off with dechlorinated tap water for the time being.

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard that salt mixes that sit too long on a shelf will have their components separated in layers, which is why some people recommend giving your salt mix a shake or mix before using it so everything can be evenly spread out. I suggest you do the following: make a small batch of 1.025 water WITHOUT mixing/shaking your salt and measure the alk, then go ahead and mix/shake your bag or bucket of salt and make another small batch of 1.025 water and measure alk. If your alk is higher in the first batch, and in the second batch it is 8-9 dkh then my suspicion is right. Just a thought, im no expert but might be worth it.

OP
OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard that salt mixes that sit too long on a shelf will have their components separated in layers, which is why some people recommend giving your salt mix a shake or mix before using it so everything can be evenly spread out. I suggest you do the following: make a small batch of 1.025 water WITHOUT mixing/shaking your salt and measure the alk, then go ahead and mix/shake your bag or bucket of salt and make another small batch of 1.025 water and measure alk. If your alk is higher in the first batch, and in the second batch it is 8-9 dkh then my suspicion is right. Just a thought, im no expert but might be worth it.
Oh yes I have heard of that possibility. I’ll try that next water change :) Thank you a lot.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could very well be your tap

Esp if you have hard water, those lime minerals add to dkh.

Even soft water has minerals in them that rodi doesn't.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back