Rebecca's Downsized Reef Build

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

just getting caught up. This is a crazy nice build. Love where you put it. Really good idea on the light, everything flows.

no more magazines in the bathroom :D

OP
OP
showmebutterfly

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wall hammer (right) is starting to fill out again. My favorite frogspawn (left), not so much.

20200115_173034.jpg

My other frogspawn and zoas are opening up a little more each day.

20200115_173549.jpg

And in other news, I got a couple of fancy new light bulbs today. I'm going to try out the aquablue special first to replace the 10,000K bulb that came with my Odyssea dual bulb fixture. I'll leave the actinic bulb in for now and save the coral plus for down the road.

20200115_173131.jpg

OP
OP
showmebutterfly

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use Berlin Method anymore?
For some reason, this method appeals to me and I'm wanting to give it a go.
Ample live rock: have that covered.
Regular partial water changes: have that covered too.
Protein skimmer: I have an Eshopps PSK-100H, which is overkill for a 29g and it overheats, so I'll want to replace it.
Kalkwasser: I plan on getting an ATO and it would be easy enough to dose kalkwasser with that.
I would still like a place to run carbon or floss or chemipure. Maybe in a small filter or if I get the XP Aqua Sumpless ATO I could put it in there, I think.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use Berlin Method anymore?
For some reason, this method appeals to me and I'm wanting to give it a go.
Ample live rock: have that covered.
Regular partial water changes: have that covered too.
Protein skimmer: I have an Eshopps PSK-100H, which is overkill for a 29g and it overheats, so I'll want to replace it.
Kalkwasser: I plan on getting an ATO and it would be easy enough to dose kalkwasser with that.
I would still like a place to run carbon or floss or chemipure. Maybe in a small filter or if I get the XP Aqua Sumpless ATO I could put it in there, I think.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?
I use the Berlin method. No issues at all but live stock is on the low side to prevent too many nutrients building up which suits me fine. I do 20% water change weekly and run a deltec MCE600 skimmer which has a media box in which I run Rowaphos and carbon. I change it out every 3 weeks. It will largely depend on your corals and stocking levels. Mine is a mixed soft and LPS setup and no SPS and my nitrates hover around 10ppm.

OP
OP
showmebutterfly

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Berlin method. No issues at all but live stock is on the low side to prevent too many nutrients building up which suits me fine. I do 20% water change weekly and run a deltec MCE600 skimmer which has a media box in which I run Rowaphos and carbon. I change it out every 3 weeks. It will largely depend on your corals and stocking levels. Mine is a mixed soft and LPS setup and no SPS and my nitrates hover around 10ppm.

Thank you so much for your input. Mine will be mixed soft and LPS too. What size tank do you have?

OP
OP
showmebutterfly

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep meaning to get more pics taken, but haven't managed that yet. My favorite frogspawn has finally started making a comeback and the sand has a bit of diatom coverage. When I was cleaning out the 10g quarantine tank I found a couple of mini brittle starfish and a few tiny snails and moved those over to the new tank. I need to make time to get to the LFS to make some purchases - snails, maybe an emerald crab and / or a combtooth blenny. There is some algae growth on the rocks (leftover from the GHA invasion of the 65g) and I'm starting to get a bit on the glass. I also need to make time to clean off and move over more live rock from the 65g. I've been distracted with setting up my new craft room in the basement and working on other home projects, but it's time to get my focus back on this new little reef tank.

OP
OP
showmebutterfly

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added 3 astrea snails, an emerald crab, a blue-legged hermit crab and a larger piece of live rock to the 29g. I thought all my mushrooms had died on their little mushroom mountain (the piece I moved last night), but after clearing off the GHA, I think I saw a couple places where there might still be signs of mushroom life. Time will tell, I guess. With the larger rock added, I now have some concern about being able to fit in all the specific pieces of live rock that I wanted to move over. Again, I guess time will tell. Meanwhile, I've notice some small patches of cyanobacteria on the sand. I need to get my powerheads cleaned and start figuring out their placement, sooner rather than later.

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your input. Mine will be mixed soft and LPS too. What size tank do you have?
My tank is a 55 Gallon 48x18x15 inches. I used to run filter floss but because I couldn't commit to changing it every few days I removed it. Upon removal, I realised that my skimmer is also performing better. Looks like the floss was competing with the skimmer. Keep it simple.

OP
OP
showmebutterfly

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 55 Gallon 48x18x15 inches. I used to run filter floss but because I couldn't commit to changing it every few days I removed it. Upon removal, I realised that my skimmer is also performing better. Looks like the floss was competing with the skimmer. Keep it simple.

Thank you very much for the advice. That's not something I would have given much thought, but the floss / skimmer thing makes sense. I am all about keeping it simple. And low-tech.

I'm currently being overly indecisive on choosing an ATO and a nano skimmer. Too many choices and so many opinions out there. I'm leaning toward Tunze nano osmolator and AquaticLife 115 internal skimmer. I'd get the Tunze 9004 skimmer, but feel like the footprint is too big for my tank and something about the look of the Tunze 9001 doesn't appeal to me. Meanwhile, watching all the youtubes and reading all the forums. o_O

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the advice. That's not something I would have given much thought, but the floss / skimmer thing makes sense. I am all about keeping it simple. And low-tech.

I'm currently being overly indecisive on choosing an ATO and a nano skimmer. Too many choices and so many opinions out there. I'm leaning toward Tunze nano osmolator and AquaticLife 115 internal skimmer. I'd get the Tunze 9004 skimmer, but feel like the footprint is too big for my tank and something about the look of the Tunze 9001 doesn't appeal to me. Meanwhile, watching all the youtubes and reading all the forums. o_O

Nothing wrong with doing your homework and researching every bit of data available. Better to learn from the mistakes and experiences of the many veteran reefers out there. Most people will go with the ‘’more is better’ approach so far as skimming is concerned. For the Berlin method, I strongly recommend a powerful skimmer that is rated much higher than your water volume. The reason for this is that you won’t have any other means of nutrient export so your skimmer will be your biggest aid (along with water changes).

OP
OP
showmebutterfly

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with doing your homework and researching every bit of data available. Better to learn from the mistakes and experiences of the many veteran reefers out there. Most people will go with the ‘’more is better’ approach so far as skimming is concerned. For the Berlin method, I strongly recommend a powerful skimmer that is rated much higher than your water volume. The reason for this is that you won’t have any other means of nutrient export so your skimmer will be your biggest aid (along with water changes).

I got out my old Eshopps PSK-100 to try out. Unfortunately, it was leaking in several places and it's been repaired so many times I don't think it's worth messing with anymore. It was worth a shot though. :)

OP
OP
showmebutterfly

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in the 'Need help deciding on fish' forum, on Friday afternoon, but didn't get any replies. Which I thought was odd, but oh well. I'll put it here for input:

I am downsizing from 65 gallons to 29 gallons and currently have an ocellaris clownfish, an orbiculate cardinalfish, emerald crab, small hermit crab, astrea snails, a few euphyllia and a small duncan. The new tank has an HOB filter for running carbon and / or Phosguard (as needed), no sump and plenty of live rock. I will be adding a nano skimmer.
I have not moved either of my fish over yet, as I would like to add some new ones, but am concerned about order in which they should be added.
Fish I am considering: royal gramma, azure damsel, lawnmower or other combtooth blenny. I've thought about adding a 2nd clownfish, but the one I have lost it's mate of 4 years over the summer and I'm not sure it would take well to me introducing it to a new clownfish.
Anyway, I think that's everything. TYIA for advice.

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I downsized from a 75 to a 45 aio and found it much more manageable for what I am able to commit to. Size wise it just works better for me. I am also on the shorter end of things :)

OP
OP
showmebutterfly

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I downsized from a 75 to a 45 aio and found it much more manageable for what I am able to commit to. Size wise it just works better for me. I am also on the shorter end of things :)

Maybe downsizing will become a trend. ;Happy I looked online at aio systems, but my not being able to decide between the different brands was in full force. Which brand did you go with?

shorediver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the bathroom setup! What a great place to have a tank, visible when you're relaxing in the tub!

I'm doing an AIO as well, so I'm curious where you're running that skimmer? Are you putting an HOB box for it or do you have it in that filter unit I saw in one of your tank shots? Thanks!

OP
OP
showmebutterfly

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the bathroom setup! What a great place to have a tank, visible when you're relaxing in the tub!

I'm doing an AIO as well, so I'm curious where you're running that skimmer? Are you putting an HOB box for it or do you have it in that filter unit I saw in one of your tank shots? Thanks!

Thank you. I love watching the tank from the tub, even with it being as empty as it is right now. Something about it is very calming. I know it will be even more so when the rest of the rocks and fish are added.
I don't have a skimmer on the tank yet. The HOB filter won't hold one, but that would be nice to have it out of the way there if it were possible. I will likely go with an internal skimmer and situate it in the back left corner of the tank. That's going to take up a bit of space, so I'm still on the fence with choosing one. I need to get the rest of my rock moved over and situated. That will let me know for sure how much space I'll have for other equipment. I realize that's a bit backwards, but some of the live rock I'm using was given to me as dry rock from my father before he passed away. He had used it in his saltwater setup way back in the day. I'm sentimental about weird and random things. :)

shorediver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that's a bit backwards, but some of the live rock I'm using was given to me as dry rock from my father before he passed away. He had used it in his saltwater setup way back in the day. I'm sentimental about weird and random things.

That seems like a lovely way to keep his memory alive, a nice thread of continuity. Sorry for your loss.

I will likely go with an internal skimmer and situate it in the back left corner of the tank.

Not a thing I've heard of yet - might be a good fit for my tank, so thanks for that suggestion. I may be able to hide it behind my rocks as there's a corner I'll never see. But I'm waiting too as I really don't know how important a skimmer will be as I'm planning a very light bio-load.

OP
OP
showmebutterfly

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a lovely way to keep his memory alive, a nice thread of continuity. Sorry for your loss.

Not a thing I've heard of yet - might be a good fit for my tank, so thanks for that suggestion. I may be able to hide it behind my rocks as there's a corner I'll never see. But I'm waiting too as I really don't know how important a skimmer will be as I'm planning a very light bio-load.

Thank you.

If you decide to go with one, I've heard really good things about the Tunze 9004 internal skimmer. It might not be too obtrusive in a corner of your tank since you're working with a 40B, which has a nice footprint and gives you more leeway with rockscaping and equipment.

OP
OP
showmebutterfly

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to spend some quiet time just observing the tank last night. I noticed a couple of good sized amphipods running around some rock, the little blue legged hermit crab moved into one of the empty shells I'd put in the tank over the weekend, the corals are all looking much healthier and the 3 astrea snails have been busy eating algae off the rocks. I will be adding a variety of snails as time progresses. The tank gets natural sunlight from 2 windows, one east facing and one north facing, in addition to the dual T5 lighting, so I'll be watching to see if algae growth becomes an issue. At any rate, I am very happy with the tank and am feeling the maintenance will be so much more manageable for me.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back