Reborn - Two Little Fishies

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spit balling but could a vendor use shells? Like Recycling the shells of oysters from other industries and putting under pressure so the 95% caco3 turns from the oysters primarily calcite structure to an aragonite structure that breaks down at a higher ph than calcite?
Its the po4 in the shells that you dont want.
Thats why reborn is graded and removes the shells.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told on good authority that TLF do not currently have inventory or supply available. Apparently the legality of collecting the coral rubble has not changed, so something else must be affecting supply. Perhaps collection challenges or changed input/export requirements. Hopefully we will see resumption of inventory.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told that there is a shortage on the media itself. So if that is the case, I don't see it becoming available in the foreseeable future. I guess it's on to DaStaCo2 if Reborn is not available soon

Last edited:

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to just use coral rubble/ bones if you have access to it.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to just use coral rubble/ bones if you have access to it.
As far as I know that’s all that reborn is. They just take the time to clean it and take the shells and stuff out. I’m going with the DaStaCo2 media once I manage to find some co2 tanks and a good dual stage regulator

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reborn briefly reappeared in Sept, though in a different form. Not necessarily a worse form, though there was predictably a bunch of complaining. Now unobtanium again. Recall Nutramar Ova was unavailable, then briefly available (and I bought a bunch) ... now gone for good. Hopefully not the case with Reborn.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, legit worried now. Did i curse myself buy being able to buy a 6 month supply of trident reagent?

Yup ... dumb luck is limited to one occurrence per quarter LOL. Had my 6-month set delivered yesterday so I'm in the same leaky boat ....

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, larger crushed coral will work just as well, but best to have a reverse flow reactor since the stuff can compact as it melts. The smaller media is actually easier to melt. ...or you can use calcite (ARM). Dolomite is fine if you need more magnesium. The man made stuff is OK too, but it is limited in "extra" elements.

I would count on it never coming back and we can just be pleasantly surprised, like seeing a unicorn, if it does.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. That is a bummer. I am not in need at the moment, but don't have any baclup as I gave my last 3-4 pounds of reborn to a fellow reefer in need.

Sounds like crushed coral is what i should be looking for.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Becuase manmade media will not contain any trace elements. This is important for people like myself that don't feel like spending lots of money doing water changes. (I have a monster tank).

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Becuase manmade media will not contain any trace elements. This is important for people like myself that don't feel like spending lots of money doing water changes. (I have a monster tank).

From Seachem's description: As it dissolves, it provides calcium, magnesium, strontium, potassium, and carbonates among other important elements for reef aquaria..

Of course I am no expert in the media specifically and how it compares to Reborn, which I used for years also.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
psssst... I googled seachem media and reborn is in stock at marine depot. I grabbed two bags. It is the finer stuff.. but hey, beggars and choosers.

Dude.. scoring reborn AND a 6 month trident reagent in a single week! I should order an achilies tang!

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
psssst... I googled seachem media and reborn is in stock at marine depot. I grabbed two bags. It is the finer stuff.. but hey, beggars and choosers.

Dude.. scoring reborn AND a 6 month trident reagent in a single week! I should order an achilies tang!
I don't think that fine stuff has been out of stock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back