Rebuilding/restarting my 125 mixed reef

Skedaddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of breaking down my mixed reef 125 and starting from scratch. I have moved all of my livestock with some of my live rock and a little sand from the tank to a 100 gal. stock tank. As I was breaking down the old tank, which has been running for 10 years, since I moved it from a fellow reefer, who had been running it for 7 years. When I purchased it I cleaned it really good and set it up just as it had been. It never cycled as I moved everything wet and used his existing sand and rock as well as the majority of his water.
Fast forward to now. Part of the reason for breaking it down was a couple of corner seems had algae that was growing behind the silicon on the glass, not into the joint. So I figured I would reseal the whole tank since it was going to be dry. In order to do that, the corner overflows needed to be removed to access all the seams. As everyone probably knows the overflows have an inside liner and an outside shell. There is about a 1/2" gap between the two shells, this gap is fed by the bottom inlet "screen" and then the water comes up and over the weir, along with the water coming over the top overflow screen. Well on my overflow the gap between the shells was filled with calcium deposits. /to the point that no water was flowing up the gap. I do not have a picture right now of the build up but, each overflow had at least 3 lbs. of build up in it. It is the same thing that was on the drain and return pipes that run withing the overflow box.

20180816_120607[1].jpg

So my question is how do I keep this from happening again? I am thinking most of us do not tear our tanks down every few years and clean the overflows with muratic acid.
Incidentally, if any one is trying to remove an overflow, a piece of leader wire/piano wire is a great tool for the job. Just attach one end to a short dowel to protect your hand and tie the other end to a long dowel so that it can push the wire to the bottom of the inside or your over flow. Then using the handle and long dowel just work the wire between the glass and the overflow.

OP
OP
S

Skedaddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the years I have received a lot of information from forums so as I go through this process I will try and give a little back. Understanding that a thread is useless without pictures... here are the stand pipes that I build for the herbie style overflow that I plan on using in the rebuild.

These overflow tubes will sit on top of the fixed stand pipe by way of a coupling. I modified the coupling so that I could make a tool to reach down into the overflow and unscrew the stand pipe from the bulkhead. The fixed stand pipe is only 10" high so it is hard to reach into the overflow and get a good grip on it down the road.

20180810_131349.jpg
20180816_132114[1].jpg

View attachment 20180810_184353[1].jpg

OP
OP
S

Skedaddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is back together, filled with water and the live sand and rock arrived from Tampa Bay Saltwater. You have to ignore the lighting, the other 1/2 of my fixtures is hanging over the stock tank, keeping my clam and anemone happy.

20180816_125145[1].jpg

This is just the first shipment of rock, so no aquascaping yet. I am planning a fairly minimalist aquascape, so this is 1/2 of the 90lbs that will be used. If I decide I need more there is a LFS about an hour away that has some cured live rock.

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! How much live sand is that? Are you happy with it? Im putting together a 125 right now and considering TBS for rock and sand. Thats 45# of rock? How many boxes did that come in?

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neat diy tool.

good luck with the revival and welcome to r2r!

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That calcification is crazy but 17 years of it and growth from marine critters can do it. The reboot is looking good so far. Watch out for unwanted hitch hikers on that LR. Really highly prized rock up know to have crabs, mantis', unwanted algae ect.

OP
OP
S

Skedaddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sstanley223 yes that is 1/2 of the rock from a 45gal package. I did not weigh it but I feel comfortable that it is accurately 45 to 50 lbs worth. The pieces are really nice and are going to fit my needs perfectly, I think. I have drawn out the major elements of my aquascape, after reading all of the aquascape tips and tricks threads both here and elsewhere; and I think the shapes I am getting are going to work nicely. As to the sand it is #45lbs of TBS live sand in addition to a 20lb bag of "special grade" live sand in a bag. One of the reasons I broke down the tank was my general lack of vitality in the tank. I attribute that to many things but really think that using old sand when I set it up as well as egg crate, was a large part of the problem. Seemed at the time egg crate was the way to go, now not so much. Anyhow, the total of 65lbs of sand covers the bottom probably 3/4" to 1" thick. Right now I feel that is enough, but I do have another bag of sand sitting here if I change my mind. If I use it I will rinse first since my bacteria should be well established at that point.
Fyi, the shipping weight, for all three boxes, 2 rock and 1 sand was #136.

I am happy with everything from TBS and the process could not have been easier or better communicated. They did a great job. My understanding is that the first shipment of rock is generally more basic rock to get the tank cycled and introduce bacteria. I would say my first shipment bears that out. There is some good stuff on the rock for sure, but it is not absolutely covered in life, as seen in some threads. I am counting on the 2nd shipment being more robust.

OP
OP
S

Skedaddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear the calcification is the result of 10 years. When moved the tank i spent quite a while out in the yard with CLR cleaning it, so it was pretty much spotless when I started. However the sand and rock had 7 years of use on it. I did rinse the sand in buckets before using it though.

So far the only bad hitchhiker I have found is one gorilla crab. And I got him on initial inspection. I have a couple of good crabs, several snails from large to tiny, and a couple of shrimp, that I know of. Also some really great looking red macro algae.

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sstanley223 yes that is 1/2 of the rock from a 45gal package. I did not weigh it but I feel comfortable that it is accurately 45 to 50 lbs worth. The pieces are really nice and are going to fit my needs perfectly, I think. I have drawn out the major elements of my aquascape, after reading all of the aquascape tips and tricks threads both here and elsewhere; and I think the shapes I am getting are going to work nicely. As to the sand it is #45lbs of TBS live sand in addition to a 20lb bag of "special grade" live sand in a bag. One of the reasons I broke down the tank was my general lack of vitality in the tank. I attribute that to many things but really think that using old sand when I set it up as well as egg crate, was a large part of the problem. Seemed at the time egg crate was the way to go, now not so much. Anyhow, the total of 65lbs of sand covers the bottom probably 3/4" to 1" thick. Right now I feel that is enough, but I do have another bag of sand sitting here if I change my mind. If I use it I will rinse first since my bacteria should be well established at that point.
Fyi, the shipping weight, for all three boxes, 2 rock and 1 sand was #136.

I am happy with everything from TBS and the process could not have been easier or better communicated. They did a great job. My understanding is that the first shipment of rock is generally more basic rock to get the tank cycled and introduce bacteria. I would say my first shipment bears that out. There is some good stuff on the rock for sure, but it is not absolutely covered in life, as seen in some threads. I am counting on the 2nd shipment being more robust.
Thanks for the through reply! I have a 65g with Florida live rock from my LFS last year. It has been one of the best running, growing systems I have ever had! Just loaded with plankton! (Probably why the corals have done so well) Im excited about getting my own from TBS. Good luck! Ill be following along.

OP
OP
S

Skedaddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found that picture of the buildup I removed from the overflows. This is what I am trying to figure out how to avoid in the future.
IMAG0685.jpg

On the one piece you can actually see the pattern of the lower overflow grate. It basically "grew" into the grate.
That is the bottom of a 5 gal bucket for reference.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back