Rebuilding the 220 Gallon

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. About a year ago I purchased a marineland 220 gallon tank with double overflows from a guy for 300 bucks. I thought it was a steal. The only problem is it needs to be resealed and I need a new peice of trim on the bottom.

I was wondering if anyone here knows how or where to order the bottom trim piece for larger tanks. I'm thinking it's necessary for structural integrity.

• Really looking forward to finnaly doing a big boy build. And thanks for any tips or ideas.

20160410_120149.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

OP
OP
Reef2zach

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was taken off by the old owner of the tank because he didnt like it. I asked around and it turns out its pretty a pretty crucial piece. Luckily I found an LFS in minnesota that will order me a new top and bottom. Ill post up pics of the re sealing process when they arrive.

OP
OP
Reef2zach

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
de304787ac7c32206d947d15e2a7fcc0.jpg

Just about there! Waiting on the new trim to come in the mail. Found out that marineland does not ship directly so ask your local fish store if they carry the tank brand and they can order the trim for you.

Once the trim gets here I can reseal the tank and will finish framing the stand. I plan on wrapping the frame in vapor barrier and using a mold resistant Sheetrock. I'll post more pics then.

OP
OP
Reef2zach

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the dang thing ready to start cycling. Sealed and has held water without a problem for over a week now. I did a lot of research and found that rtv 100 series is by far the best silicone to use. It comes in black and clear. I used clear on the bottom and corners and black where the overflow covers sat. Took about 6 tubes to do the tank. Might of been able to do less but I wanted to make sure there were no possible leaks. Walmart online carries the rtv 100 series and delivered it to my door in about 3 days. Now I just need to get the basement mudded and painted then the real fun will begin.

OP
OP
Reef2zach

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the dang thing ready to start cycling. Sealed and has held water without a problem for over a week now. I did a lot of research and found that rtv 100 series is by far the best silicone to use. It comes in black and clear. I used clear on the bottom and corners and black where the overflow covers sat. Took about 6 tubes to do the tank. Might of been able to do less but I wanted to make sure there were no possible leaks. Walmart online carries the rtv 100 series and delivered it to my door in about 3 days. Now I just need to get the basement mudded and painted then the real fun will begin.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back