Reccomedations

bubba60tackle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 38 gallon tank 5 months old now. I have CUC, 2 emerald crabs, conch, fire shrimp, pair of clowns, diamond gobey, a bubble tip nem, mushrooms and few other soft corals a buddy gave me.

Looking for one more fish. The clowns have been a bit of a disappointment, they seem fine and have read a few threads on the subject, But they always seem to be near the top of or in the back corners of the tank, don’t really make great for a display.

Fire shrimp hides a lot.

The diamond gobey is pretty cool, he seems to be the most active.

I had a Canary Blenny for a while but an emerald crab got a hold of him and he never recovered. He definitely had a great personality but he wouldnt eat pellets or flakes.

Really want something that will be a great show piece, be interesting for the kids to watch, is reef safe, and is NOT a picky eater.

I have come across these 3, would like to get opinions on these and recommendations on anything else that might work for me.

Long nose hawk fish
Valentini Puffer
Midas Blenny

OP
OP
B

bubba60tackle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic

84449120-FCF9-46FC-8D5B-D77E09F97EE7.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a dragonette, it's as simple as that! You tank may or may not be ready for one right now but if not you can get there shortly. I guess you could call them picky eaters, but in reality you won't have to feed it at all

OP
OP
B

bubba60tackle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the two emerlad crabs, they haven’t messed with the gobey, clowns, or shrimp, I figured with the larger size of the Midas it wouldn’t be a problem, no?

Just looked up dragonets, pretty cool, have to add them to the list.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue spotted puffer, he decimates emerald crabs and any corals other than soft.
6 line or other wrasse?
Starry blenny.
I like the workers (except for the puffer).

Moxtrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a dragonette, it's as simple as that! You tank may or may not be ready for one right now but if not you can get there shortly. I guess you could call them picky eaters, but in reality you won't have to feed it at all
I usually don't cringe at your advice but you lost me on this one. A 5 month old 38 gallon tank won't support a dragonette without weekly additions of copepods. This also throws out the whole "you won't have to feed it all."

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually don't cringe at your advice but you lost me on this one. A 5 month old 38 gallon tank won't support a dragonette without weekly additions of copepods. This also throws out the whole "you won't have to feed it all."
Unless you are prepared to spend $$ or raise your own food. But both of which are not “drop in tank and go” fish

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL fair enough. Like I said the OPs tank may not be quite ready yet but could be soon with a little work. Especially if they started with live rock. Dragonettes do need a thriving pod population but that can actually be established alot faster than most people think...

OP
OP
B

bubba60tackle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump to the top, saw a long nose hawk fish at the LFS today and almost picked him up, but concerned he is a picky eater and may threaten corals. I’m thinking Midas blenny is the way to go, should I be concerned about the emerald crabs? Do I need to get rid of them?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cherub angel takes flakes and pellets, he definitely prefers frozen though. He’s a real cutie and very active! A geometric hawk is smaller and less of a threat to your inverts :) I’ve got one with emerald crabs and a fire shrimp and they’re all doing great it’s been a little over 6 months now

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump to the top, saw a long nose hawk fish at the LFS today and almost picked him up, but concerned he is a picky eater and may threaten corals. I’m thinking Midas blenny is the way to go, should I be concerned about the emerald crabs? Do I need to get rid of them?
Midas blenny is very nice!

Emerald crabs are a risk. I won't put one in my reef. If you like crabs porcelain crabs are the way to go (although technically that aren't true crabs)

OP
OP
B

bubba60tackle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do like the crabs, we have little kids and they are pretty interesting to watch, but they already picked away a scrambled egg zoa. I wouldn’t be opposed to getting rid of them if the blenny + emerald crab equation is bad. Not sure if I had bad luck or if that is true.

OP
OP
B

bubba60tackle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to remove one emerald crab, haven’t been able to catch the other. I am thinking I got the problem one. Leaning towards a Midas blenny at this point.

OP
OP
B

bubba60tackle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 10/18 I got a starfish, 11/20 I put a Midas blenny in. 12/9 my diamond Gobey I have had since 7/29 went missing and today 12/17 the Midas Blenny is gone.

Midas Blenny had a sunken in stomach yesterday which I don’t get because he has been eating flakes well. I guess he was weak and succumbed to the either the starfish or the last emails crab I haven’t been able to catch.

I think my next move is to remove the starfish and other emerald crab. Pretty frustrated that I lost $100 worth of fish in the last week or so.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 10/18 I got a starfish, 11/20 I put a Midas blenny in. 12/9 my diamond Gobey I have had since 7/29 went missing and today 12/17 the Midas Blenny is gone.

Midas Blenny had a sunken in stomach yesterday which I don’t get because he has been eating flakes well. I guess he was weak and succumbed to the either the starfish or the last emails crab I haven’t been able to catch.

I think my next move is to remove the starfish and other emerald crab. Pretty frustrated that I lost $100 worth of fish in the last week or so.
Any other symptoms other than the sunken belly? Cloudy eyes? Spots? Erratic behavior? Are you only feeding it flakes?

OP
OP
B

bubba60tackle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other symptoms, was acting normal and active yesterday. I was dropping some pellets in for the clowns but he never showed interest in those so I made sure he got some flakes everyday.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back