Recent Soda Ash Change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the soda ash. We have pulled many samples from different batches over the past couple of days and weren't able to replicate either issue shown in this thread (non-dissolving crystals or brown residue) with just the soda ash by itself. Our advice would be to warm the solution to help with dissolving some, however, if issues persist our support team would be happy to work on a solution for anyone seeing this as well.

As for the brown residue, we talked to Tropic Marin and they advised that it was likely some trace element precipitation that is completely normal when making a solution like this. It is never a problem and does not affect the concentrations in the final solution. Also, if some, or even all, of this residue should work its way into the tank, it is also not an issue at all. Sometimes when mixing you will find this. And other times not so much.
Thanks for checking it out!

That would make sense as a similar brown crud shows up in the mixing bin from all
but the most premium salts. More concerned about the drastic change in how tough it is to mix the soda ash. I have to leave the mixed gallon (I don’t add the Tropic Marin until mix is done) in a bucket of hot water for 20 minutes now.

I’ll reach out to support again.

Last edited:

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking it out!

That would make sense as a similar brown crud shows up in the mixing bin from all
but the most premium salts. More concerned about the drastic change in how tough it is to mix the soda ash. I have to leave the mixed gallon (I don’t add the Tropic Marin until mix is done) in a bucket of hot water for 20 minutes now.

I’ll reach out to support again.
Warming it up is completely pointless.. it will precepitate back once cooled over a few days' period..

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You clearly have done something wrong..
I don’t understand. I’ve followed the manufacturers mixing instructions and I’m not seeing precipitation at any point during the month or so of use.

Are you saying if I DON’T see precipitation I have mixed wrong?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand. I’ve followed the manufacturers mixing instructions and I’m not seeing precipitation at any point during the month or so of use.

Are you saying if I DON’T see precipitation I have mixed wrong?
Dude, that was a joke..

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Customer service ultimately said this was not a concern due to how many batches they’ve gone through since I stockpiled and sent me 5x 1gal mixes to put it to rest. If those don’t mix up well I guess it’s just the new normal
for this product.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Customer service ultimately said this was not a concern due to how many batches they’ve gone through since I stockpiled and sent me 5x 1gal mixes to put it to rest. If those don’t mix up well I guess it’s just the new normal
for this product.

Since raising this question it is something we will be sure to keep an eye out for if others report similar issues. Thank you for the update and I'm glad that support was able to get you a couple extra bags to try out.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back