Recomended safe techniques for making 3d printed object reef safe and look real

  • Thread starter Thread starter H4Stewart
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

H4Stewart

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 3, 2024
Messages
95
Reaction score
39
Location
Gaineville
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thinking about creating some cool 3d objects for reef tank but I desired it to be both safe for fish and llook realistic.

Here is what I been thinking about

1. It appears PETG apears to be best choice because PLA breaks down but I am curious if colors effect safeness and which brands

2. The plan is two use a separate tank load with Corolline alge and possible other and let work on the materials

3. Idealy I would like to use Live rock as material but I think that is impossible but maybe able to create parts of the object.

4. I do have personal non professional experience with 3D applications like Lightwave 3d and Blender for example.

I just wondering how feasiable this idea before I invest money and time into it.

Stewart
 
Nice.
I thinking about creating some cool 3d objects for reef tank but I desired it to be both safe for fish and llook realistic.

Here is what I been thinking about

1. It appears PETG apears to be best choice because PLA breaks down but I am curious if colors effect safeness and which brands

2. The plan is two use a separate tank load with Corolline alge and possible other and let work on the materials

3. Idealy I would like to use Live rock as material but I think that is impossible but maybe able to create parts of the object.

4. I do have personal non professional experience with 3D applications like Lightwave 3d and Blender for example.

I just wondering how feasiable this idea before I invest money and time into it.

Stewart
 
I wouldn't plan on making money on it, I just do it to give back to the community as I need parts. There are several folks who do try and make some money off of it, but I feel like it goes against the spirit of the maker community.

PETG is what I do with all my prints. I would only stick with PETG with no additives unlike PETG-CF or Glitter PETG. I've printed with Inland (eSun) PETG+ and had no issues with several colors.

If you're just getting into it, I'd recommend the BambuLab A1 Mini for a real hassle free experience and low cost of entry.
 
I print functional parts for the tank with polymaker ASA. Overflow guards, part lids, probe holders, pump guards, etc.
 
I have used both PETG for intank and ABS for in sump, both work great.

For PETG Most important thing is a filament dryer

Overture or polymaker from amazon work fine

I also like KVP but you gotta order in bulk
 
I have used both PETG for intank and ABS for in sump, both work great.

For PETG Most important thing is a filament dryer

Overture or polymaker from amazon work fine

I also like KVP but you gotta order in bulk
I would encourage you to give ASA a try if you haven’t already, it is the better ABS 🙃 in many aspects.
 
I purchased a Creality K2 Plus Combo and done some test prints for the objects I been thinking of doing. I was originally looking for wood looking but now I am thinking of stone like. I also desire some transparent material. I desiring this for inside the tank as objects and plan on purchasing another 75 Gallen tank with small reef and cheaper fish to used for testing once the tank matures.

I desire these object to have Correline Algae on them and curious how possible this will be

I made a test and include a picture of two of the objects. I do have 2.5 gallen tank that I used for testing but no corrilne yet and I have include algae and nutritrants in the tank

I am hoping for a more transparent glass like object
 

Attachments

  • 20250711_145453.jpg
    20250711_145453.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 52
My overflow guards are printed in black ASA and are almost full covered.
 
I purchased a Creality K2 Plus Combo and done some test prints for the objects I been thinking of doing. I was originally looking for wood looking but now I am thinking of stone like. I also desire some transparent material. I desiring this for inside the tank as objects and plan on purchasing another 75 Gallen tank with small reef and cheaper fish to used for testing once the tank matures.

I desire these object to have Correline Algae on them and curious how possible this will be

I made a test and include a picture of two of the objects. I do have 2.5 gallen tank that I used for testing but no corrilne yet and I have include algae and nutritrants in the tank

I am hoping for a more transparent glass like object
Only thing that will be transparent "glass like"will be acrylic, maybe SLS printing; however like everything else in your tank will get dirty fast and not be clear.

This is about as clear as you can get with FDM 3d printing, it is clear petg.

Clear petg cube https://youtube.com/shorts/LS1La519p48?feature=share
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new