Materials for 3D Printed Parts - Not all are created equal

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day to you all from North Carolina

You are either reading this because you know "that guy" who has a 3D printer and said "yeah bud, I can make that for you. Just tell me what it is or get me the file". Or, you have a 3D printer and love this hobby just like myself... If youre like me, well we seem to enjoy expensive hobbies don't we?
So, Are all 3D printers created equal? If you own one then you know the answer is absolutely not. If your "friend" has one then you may find that he or she makes a part and it cracks or looks like it is covered with lines really bad. These are novice mistakes or subpar equipment and/or supplies.
Back to the topic. I have a 3D printer and after changing this and that from a mediocre printer I have a "good" quality printer. I can print just about whatever I like with good results for most anyone in the hobby. Thing is that you can not just use one material and keep your settings the same. Head speed and temperature along with the base plate itself all play crucial roles. Saying that my intent is that if you ask your friend who normally prints in PLA to print something ABS or PTEG you are probably going to get a comment from him or her saying "the first one didnt come out so good, let me play with it a bit and I'll try again". This is not their fault. They are learning like all of us. I am still learning after having my machine going on 5 years and DEFINITELY still learning in aquariums after 15-16 years...

Anyhow, if you get ONE single thing from this thread. If you have a friend make you a part you need to absolutely insure you are not having it made from PLA (Polylactic acid). PLA is at its base for Cornstarch. Then to achieve the desired color it is dyed. "MOST" materials for 3D printing are coming from China at this point in time so the chemicals used to dy these PLA's are unknown. Also, PLA being cornstart WILL 100% begin to degrade almost immediately after entered water. It is not a rate you will notice but give it 6 months or better and you'll notice your connections becoming more loose if its a nozzle or a fitted part etc. and it will begin to leach the dye into your system. I do not know what issues cornstarch will cause in your system nor do I care to know, I also do not know what issues the unknown dye will cause but is it worth it?

Below is a link to some research conducted as well as safe alternatives to PLA. I hope you find this informative and helpful. Best of reefing to you all.

3D Printing Information

-Rob "The Reefer"

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a resin 3 D Printer. The things it prints have the consistency of hardwood and look like they would last forever but I have not used any in water.

OP
OP
William Robinson

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a resin 3 D Printer. The things it prints have the consistency of hardwood and look like they would last forever but I have not used any in water.

Very interesting printing angle there. Is that because there is another "standoff" on the other side? The support material in nicely done. Good printer!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a resin printer you have to print like that. Those supports get cut off.
The first thing I tried to print was a total failure. I got better now. ;Wideyed

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back