Recommend back up equipment to always have on hand.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems there has been a increase of “ this happened and it’s midnight so no one is open what do I do “ posts mainly over equipment issues so I thought I would start a post wil a list of equipment I personally recommend always having a spare of. I also thought we could all share a story on our own mishaps that are the reason why we/you keep a spare of a specific part now.
Personally I keep :
2 spare 500 watt heaters as they will fit in any of my tanks.
2 spare powerheads 1 - 1350 Hydors old one from a tank take down but work
4 Battery powered cheap air pumps Incase I lost power in a storm.
2 Spare T5 bulbs and a T5 fixture I bought off amazon strictly for a back up light so the cheapest I could find.

Sadly back in 1999 I learned the hard way to keep the spare parts I do all due to my ex-wife’s cat :mad:
We went out of town for a few days and returned late on a Friday night to find her cat chewed up the power cords to the powerheads, heater, and lights at some point. The tank was at approximately 70* most the fish were ok but the corals looked awful. In the small town we lived in there was nothing open till Monday and the nearest one open on a weekend was 2 hours away. No petco’s back then.
I did one of the dumbest things I’ve ever done in 22 years of reef keeping that night. Seeing I had zero spare parts I turn the water faucet on hot and started to make buckets of hot water. Yep you guessed it! I poured that hot water from old copper water pipes right into my tank thinking I was doing something to save my tank. Within a hour that 300 gallon tank had about 50% of the good water removed and 150 gallons of untreated hot water from our boiler dumped into the tank.
I sit back looking at my tank saying to myself well now what am I going to do about water movement and lightso_O At this time my ex says what is that god awful smell? I look at our fish to see most are now dead others dieing and corals melting away. Our water had high levels of Ammonia, Chlorine, and lord knows what else in it and I knew it which is why I always bought water from my lfs then as they had filters that I as well as most in the early to mid 90’s couldn’t afford back then.
There’s nothing worse then a tank crash when it’s your foolish choices that caused the damage.
Lessons learned :
NEVER use hot tap water and keep a spare heater and Never use tap water from a old house with a boiler and copper pipes that can’t be filtered with a ro/di unit and has zero TDS in today’s standard. If I had a spare heater the tank would have heated back up slowly and safely. Most if not all my fish would have survived and possibly my corals too.

If I would have had a heater I still had nothing to creat water movement, now I keep spares. If you do upgrades with pumps / powerheads etc. seriously think about keeping at least one for a back up. As things can and do fail.

If I had a spare heater and powerheads I still was without lights for a few more days. You don’t have to keep anything fancy just something that would provide a bit of proper lighting is better then nothing at all.

Never get married to a woman with a cat! Just joking or am I ;)

I hope my story on one of my biggest tank failures explains why I now keep what I do for spare parts/equipment.

I know there’s plenty of opps stories out there let’s share them!
One of these stories I’m sure will help out those that don’t want to ask the one dumb question. Well I say the only thing dumb about a dumb question is the thought that it’s dumb! Be the brave one and ask what others a scared to!

Let’s all share a story about what spares you keep and why you now keep them!

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple power heads, air pumps, headers, even old light fixtures that have been kept after upgrading. They still work so I keep them around and they get used from time to time trying small DIY projects or whatever. I just set up my first larger tank (120 gallon) and I'm going to build a water mixing station. I know if I lose the return pump on the 120 that I do not have anything that will provide the flow it'll need so I'm going to use the same exact pump for the water mixing station and that will provide the backup I need without just having a new pump sitting in a box waiting to be used. 3170gph is ridiculous for a 44 gallon mixing can but it'll be worth it if I loose a pump on the tank.

I don't have anything to keep it going during a power outage and it's really something I should plan for. My truck has a 110v plug that I could run powerheads and air pump but would definitely not power the heaters.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For backup equipment I keep a heater, a spare powerhead and a battery power source capable of running them.

If I ran a dc return pump I would also keep an extra on hand.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spare return pumps, spare heaters, spare power head, UPS batteries for short power outage and generator capacity for entire tank setup, refrigerator and one air conditioner for longer.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple power heads, air pumps, headers, even old light fixtures that have been kept after upgrading. They still work so I keep them around and they get used from time to time trying small DIY projects or whatever. I just set up my first larger tank (120 gallon) and I'm going to build a water mixing station. I know if I lose the return pump on the 120 that I do not have anything that will provide the flow it'll need so I'm going to use the same exact pump for the water mixing station and that will provide the backup I need without just having a new pump sitting in a box waiting to be used. 3170gph is ridiculous for a 44 gallon mixing can but it'll be worth it if I loose a pump on the tank.

I don't have anything to keep it going during a power outage and it's really something I should plan for. My truck has a 110v plug that I could run powerheads and air pump but would definitely not power the heaters.

I never thought about buying a pump that will be dual purpose like that. I wonder if I can con the wife into a spare return pump now! I can see it now :
Me: hunny I need a new return pump.
Wife: why?
Me: well I just learned a great idea. I can use it to make water and if the one on the tank fails we have a spare to prevent any losses in one of the tanks.
Wife: makes sense just don’t spend much on it
Me: ok
Weeks later
Wife: what is this $2,500 BRS charge for on our credit card?
Me: that pump you said was ok to buy
Wife: Oh and I wasn’t able to get my nails done the last few weeks is this why???
Me: ummmmm
Wife: All your stuff has been moved next to that Abyzz pump in the basement while your looking for a new place to live!!!
Lol

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along those lines,I guess I have a spare return pump as well.

I built a rock fountain in the backyard and told the wife. "Yes, this fountain needs a fluval sp6"

I also have my original mag 9.5, 25 years old, still running in my mixing container.

I guess return pump should be added to my list

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought about buying a pump that will be dual purpose like that. I wonder if I can con the wife into a spare return pump now! I can see it now :
Me: hunny I need a new return pump.
Wife: why?
Me: well I just learned a great idea. I can use it to make water and if the one on the tank fails we have a spare to prevent any losses in one of the tanks.
Wife: makes sense just don’t spend much on it
Me: ok
Weeks later
Wife: what is this $2,500 BRS charge for on our credit card?
Me: that pump you said was ok to buy
Wife: Oh and I wasn’t able to get my nails done the last few weeks is this why???
Me: ummmmm
Wife: All your stuff has been moved next to that Abyzz pump in the basement while your looking for a new place to live!!!
Lol
So that is exactly the premise I used to talk my wife into it!! Not $2,500 though.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along those lines,I guess I have a spare return pump as well.

I built a rock fountain in the backyard and told the wife. "Yes, this fountain needs a fluval sp6"

I also have my original mag 9.5, 25 years old, still running in my mixing container.

I guess return pump should be added to my list
It's a must honey! Anything less just won't dazzle you!! LOL

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep a spare heater or two on hand, and a drop-in replacement return pump (even though I do not use DC LOL). I have a battery backup on my powerheads, and redundant generators, so I don't worry about power loss.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the return pump is the backbone of our reef so a back up is always a must plus they are great for water changes mixing up salts and heaters go bad more often than what we think and living in NYC where weather is as crazy as the people spare heaters are also a must

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulkheads if you have a drilled tank.

Just had one spontaneously start leaking. Luckily I had a spare - had it replaced in 10 minutes and everything is back to normal - with no water on the floor.

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily I live in SoCal so I don’t have to worry about the tanks getting to cold usually.
I do have 2 extra HOB filters that can be repurposed in an emergency.
Also I keep so flex seal tape and the stuff in a can for an emergency leak.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily I live in SoCal so I don’t have to worry about the tanks getting to cold usually.
I do have 2 extra HOB filters that can be repurposed in an emergency.
Also I keep so flex seal tape and the stuff in a can for an emergency leak.
Is the flex seal spray ok for aquarium use?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to go home and double check. But the flex seal is more about protecting my home from water damage then saving my fish as much as I like them.
Understood, I've just never seen the the stuff or read a can of it but when you brought it up I thought maybe it could be used for plumbing applications in a pinch.

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, I've just never seen the the stuff or read a can of it but when you brought it up I thought maybe it could be used for plumbing applications in a pinch.
Slow for me at work today so did some googling.
Says the liquid is fish safe. So I would assume the tape is too. But the spray is not safe for plumbing with drinking water. I guess that has to do with the aresole.

F50AF318-29D4-426E-BA73-5D8B9B0C7130.png

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea about keeping flex seal on hand.

In the summer I make sure I have two large soda bottles w/ frozen RODI in the freezer to cool the tanks if the power goes out and AC is out, on the hottest day my tank would get too hot. Also have DC powerheads connected to batteries all the time that should last for at least 24 hours.

I also save the foam from coral shipments I've received to use to surround my tank as insulation in a winter power outage.

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly back in 1999 I learned the hard way to keep the spare parts I do all due to my ex-wife’s cat :mad:
We went out of town for a few days and returned late on a Friday night to find her cat chewed up the power cords to the powerheads, heater, and lights at some point. The tank was at approximately 70* most the fish were ok but the corals looked awful. In the small town we lived in there was nothing open till Monday and the nearest one open on a weekend was 2 hours away.

ARGHH! Evil reef hating cat strikes again. lol. My wife's cat also nuked my last sps dominant reef tank a few years back. I was able to forgive my wife, but not her cat ;Cat;Rage. I feel your pain.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulkheads if you have a drilled tank.

Just had one spontaneously start leaking. Luckily I had a spare - had it replaced in 10 minutes and everything is back to normal - with no water on the floor.
Ah bulkheads the part no one near me stocks! No that you said that I think I better order a set. Mine are at least 10 years old.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mixing station has my spare skimmer pump in it, I have a spare hammerhead return pump also, spare parts for my DIY LED's and a spare powerhead is always around too. I heat with my hot water heater and a Pex loop, but I have a way to do it manually if need be and several spare heaters just in case.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back