Recommendation for replacing a Reeflo return pump quickly.

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a reeflo goby (hammerhead with a different impeller) plugged into an Apex. 100g display with about a 75g basement sump. I have to raise the water about 15 feet to my display. I've had the Reeflo Goby for about 7 years and the power went out the other day and the pump stopped working. If I plug It into a gfci it pops the gfxi immediately. I've tried many different gfci in the house. It appears to run fine on a non gfci plug. I don't think I can let the tank run like this long without a solution. It's been down for about 28 hours now. Power is back but I'm not sure what to do with the pump. A new one is very expensive and would take days to arrive.

1. Any thoughts on what might be wrong and or how to fix it?
2. If I have to.replace the pump recommendations on a pump that would work hamdle my head loss?
3. Anything I can do to keep my tank stable while I repair the pump? I have a heater, air stone, and a mp40 running in the tank now.

Thanks for the thoughts. I really liked.my existing pump my only complaint would be they are way to hard to service the impeller.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

I have a reeflo goby (hammerhead with a different impeller) plugged into an Apex. 100g display with about a 75g basement sump. I have to raise the water about 15 feet to my display. I've had the Reeflo Goby for about 7 years and the power went out the other day and the pump stopped working. If I plug It into a gfci it pops the gfxi immediately. I've tried many different gfci in the house. It appears to run fine on a non gfci plug. I don't think I can let the tank run like this long without a solution. It's been down for about 28 hours now. Power is back but I'm not sure what to do with the pump. A new one is very expensive and would take days to arrive.

1. Any thoughts on what might be wrong and or how to fix it?
2. If I have to.replace the pump recommendations on a pump that would work hamdle my head loss?
3. Anything I can do to keep my tank stable while I repair the pump? I have a heater, air stone, and a mp40 running in the tank now.

Thanks for the thoughts. I really liked.my existing pump my only complaint would be they are way to hard to service the impeller.
Put the heater/in your tank, maintain flow in your tank.
Replace the Pump
I would maintain heat/flow in your sump as well during that time (and oxygen). not sure there is a miracle cure for this. you could also contact an electrician - and ask if its safe to continue to run your system until you have a new pump on hand.

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 Thanks. I ran a heater, airstone and powerhead in my tank and tried my best to fix the pump but that doesn't appear to be happening so last night I ordered a new pump and I'm running the old pump off a nonGFCI for now. Not ideal but I wasn't sure what else to do. I wasn't sure if there was anything else I should have been doing that I was overlooking. I do need to look into adding a UPS or something in front of the new pump and Apex I would think going forward.

Mkissane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell replacement bushings/seals. I replaced the ones on my Dart model recently. Pretty easy if you watch a YouTube video. You could try taking it apart to clean too. The risk is you might not get it back running so maybe better to leave it until the new one arrives. You can also replace the whole impeller assembly pretty cheap. You should at least replace the gasket if you take it apart. Then you’ll have a great backup. That is what I did. Expensive but then so is everything we have in our tanks. Hopefully the motor is fine. Maybe blow it out with air. If you have it connected to an EB832 you can look at the power draw and compare it to the specs for the pump. Reefflo will repair it if it is under warranty. Good luck.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back