Recommendations for an IM Nuvo Fusion 20?

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Trying to learn more about lighting and all the various options out there. I realized earlier today that a single AI Prime wouldn't be enough for my tank, so I thought I'd reach out for some advice.

So, situation: I have an IM Nuvo Fusion 20 tank that's currently cycling. My wife and I are novice reefkeepers, so we'll likely be growing softies/LPS for now, with the potential to move into some easy SPS in the next year or so. I'm looking for a good-value light that I (preferably) only have to get one of, and that is programmable without any additional controllers. So far the AI Hydra 26 looks like the best bet, but I wanted to get some additional input. Thanks!

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think the AI 16hd isn’t enough? I have one over a IM20 and I actually was able to bleach a montipora spongodes when I messed with my light and turned it to high (coral was in back left corner too). I think the 26/32 he would be a bit overkill for lps and softies. I plan to do a few Birdsnest corals in my 20 when time comes and I’m sure the 16hd will be plenty.

OP
OP
I

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Why do you think the AI 16hd isn’t enough? I have one over a IM20 and I actually was able to bleach a montipora spongodes when I messed with my light and turned it to high (coral was in back left corner too). I think the 26/32 he would be a bit overkill for lps and softies. I plan to do a few Birdsnest corals in my 20 when time comes and I’m sure the 16hd will be plenty.

The majority of what I've read seems to indicate that the 16 is 18"x18", and that the claimed 24" spread is very weak at the edges. That could be wrong, hence the request for more info. :)

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d probably go with 2x AI Prime for that light. You could get away with one if you’d rather buy them incrementally.

You could also get a couple of Kessil A80s based off what you’re planning to grow.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with two AI Primes vs a single 26/32 due to spread. I run two Primes with hard mounts over my IM20 (thread in my signature).

You could also look into Reef Breeders and their Photon V2+ 24” light for the same money.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back