Recommendations for automatic feeder?

Azure Scolymia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for personal recommendations for an automatic fish feeder that doesn’t suck. I will be running an apex system, so integration would be cool, but not necessary. The only thing I have found are drum style that seems to put out way too much or not enough food. My current one one has two settings 12h and 24h which is stupid. This will be on a 310 g aquarium.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for personal recommendations for an automatic fish feeder that doesn’t suck. I will be running an apex system, so integration would be cool, but not necessary. The only thing I have found are drum style that seems to put out way too much or not enough food. My current one one has two settings 12h and 24h which is stupid. This will be on a 310 g aquarium.
Of course you can go with the Neptune one. Of the Eheim everyday feeder.

I am a personal fan of the super feeder. Awesome capacity and will
Last a lifetime

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Apex AFS is awesome. Avast came out with a new feeder that is also very good

OP
OP
Azure Scolymia

Azure Scolymia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you can go with the Neptune one. Of the Eheim everyday feeder.

I am a personal fan of the super feeder. Awesome capacity and will
Last a lifetime
Are you talking about these? Up to a 1 gallon hopper!! Capacity indeed. Do you get good adjustment of how much food comes out?

Apex AFS is awesome. Avast came out with a new feeder that is also very good
Is AFS good? I have no experience with it. Looking at it though, it doesn’t look that different from crap ones I have used in the past. The other thing that I thought was telling was that they developed a special food to ensure proper dispensing of food. How does it do with random pellets? Do you own one?

I was actually just reeding up on the Avast model. I had never considered freeze dried food.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are you talking about these? Up to a 1 gallon hopper!! Capacity indeed. Do you get good adjustment of how much food comes out?

Is AFS good? I have no experience with it. Looking at it though, it doesn’t look that different from crap ones I have used in the past. The other thing that I thought was telling was that they developed a special food to ensure proper dispensing of food. How does it do with random pellets? Do you own one?

I was actually just reeding up on the Avast model. I had never considered freeze dried food.
Ive had my AFS close to 3 years and problem free. I place a combo of flakes and pellets in it, and refill it about monthly
I have the avast and in process of setting it up on different tank

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune’s AFS is nice, but it is loud as frack. Also be careful when removing the canister. It is awfully easy to pop the lid before removing the canister. I’ve had 1/3 of canister volume spill into aquarium once. Not fun. My mistake, I should have removed the entire feeder for safety.

OP
OP
Azure Scolymia

Azure Scolymia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune’s AFS is nice, but it is loud as frack. Also be careful when removing the canister. It is awfully easy to pop the lid before removing the canister. I’ve had 1/3 of canister volume spill into aquarium once. Not fun. My mistake, I should have removed the entire feeder for safety.
Thanks for the warning.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Avast Marine Plank, tried many other brands in the past with no luck but never the Neptune version others discuss.

I like the plank because it's very slow and great for freeze dried foods. The augur design is unlike any feeder I have seen and makes results repeatable. Other feeders are just a tumbler that turns. It's just a simple plug to power so you will need to provider your own timer or plug control.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the Avast Plank. Have no run time yet, waiting on delivery but have seen only good reviews. Was going to go AFS but had seen noise complaints and the display is in my living room

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya im about to order been watching videos on it. Pricey but seems worth it since every other one is basically the same. Also avast makes quality products

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Avast Marine Plank, tried many other brands in the past with no luck but never the Neptune version others discuss.

I like the plank because it's very slow and great for freeze dried foods. The augur design is unlike any feeder I have seen and makes results repeatable. Other feeders are just a tumbler that turns. It's just a simple plug to power so you will need to provider your own timer or plug control.
Just got mine. I don't have any controllers, other than an independent doser. It seems that I can put it on a timer. My problem is, my timer has a minimum on/off time of 1 minute. That seems really long and will overload my tank. Display is 180G. Any thoughts or advice?

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I never ordered the Advast one just couldn't see spending that much. So I got a wifi that plugs in with a usb and you can set it up to feed as many times as you want. The feeder and the thing/cup it dumps into cost me about 45.00 and so far I'm very happy.
I have a 120... 4 foot and the feeder and the cup I have next to a powerhead and when it feeds it shoots the food all the way across the tank. It really works great and all the fish chase it all around lol
I figured if I didn't like it it was not alot of money

16202580818218410679595004256345.jpg 16202581073576507918342813216504.jpg 16202581363173008031942097124225.jpg Screenshot_20210505-184611_iLONDA.jpg

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine. I don't have any controllers, other than an independent doser. It seems that I can put it on a timer. My problem is, my timer has a minimum on/off time of 1 minute. That seems really long and will overload my tank. Display is 180G. Any thoughts or advice?

I have 167 gallons display and I run it for 2 minutes 4 times a day. It is very slow to dispense I recommend you just set it on a white paper and turn it on and get a feel for how much output the size of food you're using is going aug out. My tang's pretty much devour everything and some stuff makes it towards the back of the tank and the more passive fish then are able to eat it.

It's nothing like the classic tumble feeder output that dumps tons of pellets in.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 112 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back