Recommendations for bio media in sump

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning a new tank and researching the “best” bio-media for use in my sump.

Tank will be a 36 bowfront, sump will be a multipurpose 40gal breeder.

I’m not using live rock, instead using DIY “rock” made from an epoxy product, so I’ll have no real bio filtration from that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’ll likely seed it from my currently running tank to jump start the cycle.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like seachem matrix since it is durable. A bag of crushed coral would work very well and is what I will probably do in the future.

OP
OP
mikee002

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like seachem matrix since it is durable. A bag of crushed coral would work very well and is what I will probably do in the future.

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to use too much of the media, or is it best to stick to their recommended “dose”? Thanks

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the brightwell dimpled bricks. 1 brick should be sufficient For your tank. I run 2 in a 130 g system and 3 in a 190 g system. Both are bare bottom with live rock.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just buy some dry rock like you can get from BRS and throw that in the sump? This is what I eventually did after the marine pure crumbled.

Besides that, I would rpobably denitrate from seachem, or siporax, oe even marine pure again, but I would do the little balls in a media bag.

OP
OP
mikee002

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the brightwell dimpled bricks. 1 brick should be sufficient For your tank. I run 2 in a 130 g system and 3 in a 190 g system. Both are bare bottom with live rock.

And it’s durable and won’t crumble? Thanks

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only use calcium carbonate based materials; my understanding is that any of the ceramics have aluminum in them which can leach out into the tank. MarinePure also has a tendency to crumble; not sure re: other brands (so MarinePure gets relegated to my quarantine tank).

Back