Recommendations for Overflow box for 55 Gallon Tank

James74d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on switching my tank from a canister filter to a sump and just wanted to get some recommendations for good overflow boxes for my size tank.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of good choices. Will you be drilling the tank or looking at hang on overflows? I HIGHLY recommend drilling as it will save you a lot of headaches down the road. If you decide to drill, take a look at the Eshopps Eclipse overflows, Marine Depot Elite, Modular Marine, or Exotic Marine Systems (I use on of theirs).

OP
OP
J

James74d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of good choices. Will you be drilling the tank or looking at hang on overflows? I HIGHLY recommend drilling as it will save you a lot of headaches down the road. If you decide to drill, take a look at the Eshopps Eclipse overflows, Marine Depot Elite, Modular Marine, or Exotic Marine Systems (I use on of theirs).
I am not sure if I am able to drill. I don't know what can of glass it is, and you can only drill certain glass right?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if I am able to drill. I don't know what can of glass it is, and you can only drill certain glass right?
Correct. You cannot drill tempered glass. There is an easy wat to tell if glass is tempered using a pair of polarized sunglasses and a laptop. Do a quick youtube search and you will finf a lot of videos showing you how.

OP
OP
J

James74d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. You cannot drill tempered glass. There is an easy wat to tell if glass is tempered using a pair of polarized sunglasses and a laptop. Do a quick youtube search and you will finf a lot of videos showing you how.
Thank you for the info!!

OP
OP
J

James74d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is it worth building a sump for a 55 or should I just go with a hob skimmer?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it is nearly always worth having a sump. It is amazing how much having a sump can simplify reef keeping. It moves unsightly equipment like heaters, and skimmers out of the tank and hides them, provides more water volume, and makes maintaining the system easier. I don't think I will ever have a tank without a sump again. Even my freshwater system has a sump.

OP
OP
J

James74d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it is nearly always worth having a sump. It is amazing how much having a sump can simplify reef keeping. It moves unsightly equipment like heaters, and skimmers out of the tank and hides them, provides more water volume, and makes maintaining the system easier. I don't think I will ever have a tank without a sump again. Even my freshwater system has a sump.
Is there a cheap way to build a sump? I started to look in to everything, and they seem pricy to make. I plan on upgrading in a couple years and just don't want to put a ton of money into this tank.

OP
OP
J

James74d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to build a cheap sump? I started to look into it, and they seem to be pricey to make. I do plan on upgrading in a few years so I would hate to spend a lot of money now.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a 20g from the Petco dollar per gallon sale and have a glass shop cut some baffles for it. Usually they can use scraps to do it so the cost is petty minimal. You could probably build on for <$75. Alternatively you can use acrylic sheets instead of glass baffles. Just be aware that silicone doesn't stick as well to acrylic, so you will need a pretty good bead. also get a relatively thick acrylic, this will help minimize bowing.

If you are ok with spending a bit more, I would suggest a Fiji Cube or Exotic Marine Systems sump baffle kit. Like this Fiji Cube sump kit, or this EMS sump kit. I used the EMS kit on my 75g build and really like it.

OP
OP
J

James74d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a 20g from the Petco dollar per gallon sale and have a glass shop cut some baffles for it. Usually they can use scraps to do it so the cost is petty minimal. You could probably build on for <$75. Alternatively you can use acrylic sheets instead of glass baffles. Just be aware that silicone doesn't stick as well to acrylic, so you will need a pretty good bead. also get a relatively thick acrylic, this will help minimize bowing.

If you are ok with spending a bit more, I would suggest a Fiji Cube or Exotic Marine Systems sump baffle kit. Like this Fiji Cube sump kit, or this EMS sump kit. I used the EMS kit on my 75g build and really like it.
I was also factoring in the cost of the overflow box, skimmer, pump. I was thinking it would cost around $500 give or take for the whole setup where I could get a hob skimmer for half of that. I wanted to add a sump for better filtration but if a hob skimmer can achieve that I’m fine with it and then will add a sump to my new tank once I get it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back