Recommendations for sand cleaners

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 100g tank about 6 months old that is getting small pockets of diatoms and detritus build up on the sand. I'm looking for recommendations on what to add to the sand. Currently I have about 8 Astrea snails (that only stay on glass or rock) and about 8 small blue leg hermits that aren't getting the job done. Current fish livestock is a Foxface, Solar Wrasse, Bi-color Blenny and 3 chromis. I am only feeding about 1/6 of a spirulina cube every other day so I don't think there's enough bio-load or food to keep a starfish or diamond goby alive long term. Am I over thinking the star or Goby? Maybe some nasarius snails or a couple of conchs?

I am also doing 20g water changes every other week where the sand gets siphoned.

Thanks in advance -

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nassarius snails
Nerite snails
Blue leg hermits
sand sifting starfish

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snails
Nerite snails
Blue leg hermits
sand sifting starfish
I really like the idea of a sand sifting starfish, but would it starve? The tank is only 6 months old...not what I would call well established yet. Just want to make sure I'm not putting in a creature that's going to die in 6 months.

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond goby eats pellet with my other fish too... not sure if that helps your decision. My tiger conch is also more active that my fighting conch. If I can have a do over, maybe 2-3 tiger conch and no diamond goby hehe.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 2 conch snails (small) in my 20l and they keep the sand pristine. I feed heavy and ensure they have lotsof food too. My 75g I have 1 large conch snail. Imo they are the best sand cleaners.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back