Recommendations on Powerheads

Maria A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to saltwater hobby after many years of freshwater tanks. Running a 40 gallon Breederon a Whale 500 canister. Trying to upgrade current power heads in the tank to increase flow for softies and zoanthids. Considering a set (2) of these options:
1. Jebao SLW-20 Compact Wavemaker w/Controller, BlackJebao SLW-20 Compact Wavemaker
2. Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6040
3. Vortech MP10

Prices are very different from $86 to $330. Is it worth to spend the money for the MP 10 or stay on the cheaper side? Which will give me the best long term outcome?

thanks for your help!

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would go with tunze, there dependable, quiet and can point them in different directions unlike the MPs. but you have to deal with wire in the tank. you get what you pay for.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you spring for a MP10, get a new one. You can buy used equipment for a substantial discount...but there may be substantial problems of which the seller might not even be aware. I've bought multiple MP10s and MP40s for my tanks, and several of the wetsides have had some type of damage when I've inspected them closely. With wetsides running between $80 and $100 CAD, the price differential between used and new was not particularly large. You should also take care to ensure that the magnets in your MP10 are strong enough for your glass thickness, and especially if buying used: several of my powerheads have a history of repatedly falling off the tank.

Even will all of the vortechs' flaws, though, it has to be said that it's great not having wires in the tank, and the controls are a breeze. They can also be integrated into a number of aquarium controllers' software with little effort.

I do like the Tunze nanostream, but the power cord in mine didn't seat firmly in the power soruce, and it kept falling out. I ended up not using it on my Reefer 350.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back