Recommendations Transition From Dosing 2 Part to Calcium Reactor

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read many great posts here about the benefits and success of Reefers using calcium reactors. Have begun researching calcium reactors and see there are some complexities to these reactors.

Concerned about the transition from auto dosing 2 parts with Neptune DOS and trident to new calcium reactor that will be regulated by the trident. Looking to minimize the impact on my corals.

Appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Thank you!

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to switch to a calrx also , I currently doing aquaforest component 123 . My concern is PH dropping with the calrx so I was looking at dosing randy Holmes high Alk ph along with using the cal RX. I asked the question to randy and I’m waiting for an answer.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read many great posts here about the benefits and success of Reefers using calcium reactors. Have begun researching calcium reactors and see there are some complexities to these reactors.

Concerned about the transition from auto dosing 2 parts with Neptune DOS and trident to new calcium reactor that will be regulated by the trident. Looking to minimize the impact on my corals.

Appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Thank you!

What is key for this transition is that you have a good idea of what your daily Alk consumption is in Meq/L (lets call it C).

If you have that, then its really quite simple.
Lets say your tank volume is 200 L (T)
Lets say your current Alkalinity in your tank is 7 DKH. Thats 2.5 meq/L.
You measure the output from your effluent from the Carx. Lets say the carx output is 20 DKH (7.143 meq/L)

So you are adding 7.143 minus 2.5 meq/L = 4.93 meq/L. Alk via the effluent (D)

now measure the effluent flow rate. Lets say it is 30 ml/min or 1.8 L per hour (f)

So the alk you are adding per day = (4.93 * 1.8 * 24)/200 which is 1.06 meq/L or 2.9 DKH

(D*f*24)/T = C is when you can retire your 2 part.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is key for this transition is that you have a good idea of what your daily Alk consumption is in Meq/L (lets call it C).

If you have that, then its really quite simple.
Lets say your tank volume is 200 L (T)
Lets say your current Alkalinity in your tank is 7 DKH. Thats 2.5 meq/L.
You measure the output from your effluent from the Carx. Lets say the carx output is 20 DKH (7.143 meq/L)

So you are adding 7.143 minus 2.5 meq/L = 4.93 meq/L. Alk via the effluent (D)

now measure the effluent flow rate. Lets say it is 30 ml/min or 1.8 L per hour (f)

So the alk you are adding per day = (4.93 * 1.8 * 24)/200 which is 1.06 meq/L or 2.9 DKH

(D*f*24)/T = C is when you can retire your 2 part.

90 Gallon aquarium with pH @ 8.35, Alk @ 8.5 and use 110 ml of 2 part daily (both Alk & Calcium). Can I use these stats to determine my Alk consumption?

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 Gallon aquarium with pH @ 8.35, Alk @ 8.5 and use 110 ml of 2 part daily (both Alk & Calcium). Can I use these stats to determine my Alk consumption?

You need to determine the DHKH equivalent of 110 ml of part2. So if you were not dose the 110 ml for a day how much would you alk fall ? thats what you need to start with,

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back