Recommended CO2 Regulator?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rovert
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Rovert

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 14, 2022
Messages
369
Reaction score
282
Location
Lords Valley, PA
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looking to put my Korallin reactor back into service, but need a new regulator. Not looking for anything 'high-end', just functional. Can y'all opine on these options? One thing that I'd like to see if I can do is to use paintball canisters due to limited space under my stand. It's a tight squeeze to get a 5lb bottle down there, I'm OK with having to change the canister more often. Is it possible to use a C02 canister on it's side? If so, that'd help.

Fzone 'Mini'
Amazon product ASIN B08P5FKQDT
71wlI5PqQrL._AC_SL1476_.jpg



Fzone Dual Stage
Amazon product ASIN B0838KXK5D
71SVo5jd-FL._AC_SL1500_.jpg



Inkbird Dual Stage
Amazon product ASIN B09KRMXKSR
71ACEtasJuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
 
i would go with the carbon doser i know its way more money but worth it
 
Paintball canisters are not a good choice and they tend to leak. The regulator choices in that size are not the best either. I used one for a planted nano and towards the end of the bottle, there would always be a big co2 dump. Using pressurized co2 in the house is no joke and not something I would go cheap on, too many risks involved. You can always put the bottle further away and run a line to the reactor? As far as regulators go, Alan Le or build your own dual stage.
 
No experience with those regulators. I like a regulator with a lower second stage pressure range for very low bubble counts (I like to run around 10-12 psi). The higher ranges are OK for planted tanks that use a lot of CO2, but it can be difficult to control a really low bubble count with even a really good needle valve. I have purchased used dual stage industrial regulators on eBay and built mine (still was not cheap when you acquire all the parts). I have heard the Tunze unit is good, but again no personal experience. Make sure you get one with a CGA-320 fitting. I don't think you really need a Carbon Doser.

You cannot put the bottle on its side or you will put liquid into the regulator. The regulator needs to see the gas phase.
 
i would go with the carbon doser i know its way more money but worth it
You mean the Fzone dual stage, or something else?

Paintball canisters are not a good choice and they tend to leak. The regulator choices in that size are not the best either. I used one for a planted nano and towards the end of the bottle, there would always be a big co2 dump. Using pressurized co2 in the house is no joke and not something I would go cheap on, too many risks involved. You can always put the bottle further away and run a line to the reactor? As far as regulators go, Alan Le or build your own dual stage.
That's why I picked two-stage regulators, allegedly they don't dump at the end. In my case, I'm running a Korallin reactor, my understanding is that the design prevents any ill effects if that should happen. Unfortunately relocating the canister is just not an option.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new