Recommended Equipment For My New 180

Bryon

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
308
Reaction score
11
Location
Erie, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finally got myself what I consider, a dream tank. 180 gallons of pure enjoyment(hopefully). I have never had a tank even close to this size before. I'm looking for some help with required equipment for a tank this size. I know the basics, skimmer, fuge, heater, etc. I'm looking more for recommendations on gph, size, flow, and other number related items. I would appreciate any help with this. I really don't want to mess this up.
I've come up with a small list so far. Feel free to let me know if any of it is a bad idea or could be better.

CPR CS102 overflow box w/lifter pump
(2) Finnex titanium 500 watt heater
mag drive 12 return pump
eshopps s-200 skimmer
eshopps r-300 sump/fuge
reefkeeper lite controller
(2)mp 40

Thanks everybody in advance
 
Looks like you've got it all down. What are you thinking your missing?
You've got the MP40s, you'll be running those at around maybe up around 2000gph apiece. I think that running them flat out might be a bit much.
 
I wasn't sure if what I have on my list is good enough; quality, reliability, flow.
 
The stuff you have will do the job. There are better equipment out there, but it all depends on what you want to spend. Make sure the controller you buy can do everything you plan to have down the road, it is cheaper in the long run often to get the full-size controllers up front then adding on later downthe road.
 
I agree. Nothing wrong with what you've got there.
 
Just gonna throw it out there, but I'd run a custom sump in there instead of the eShoppes. Full disclosure, I have an R100, and it's fine for what it is, but for the money, a 55G tank with baffles would do just fine. (Especially when you can get $1/gallon at Petco for a little while longer.) I'd also drill the tank and use a Glass-Holes overflow instead of the CPR. Again, full disclosure, I have both, and I am far more comfortable with a gravity fed system instead of relying on an Aqualifter. Finally, if you're set on the ReefKeeper Lite, at least get the Plus because more than likely, you'll need the extra power outlets. The Elite will do a few things the Lite won't, but not much. Mac
 
On my 180, I use a mag 12 return, 2 MP40s, a home made roughneck storage container as a sump with a SWC 180 cone skimmer. My only suggestion would maybe get two smaller heaters instead of one large one. If one fails at least the one can hold you over. I use two 300 watt heaters.
 
ditch the aqua lifter pump and run a maxi jet 1200 instead, way more reliable.
 
If it were me I would ditch the reef keeper and use that cash to get a bigger skimmer. I had the s-200 on my 210 and it will be taxed on your tank, I upgraded mine to a RLSS R8-I. I Love this skimmer and I think you will be happy with it on your tank and it only costs a bit more the the eshopps.
 
You may want to look into a DC power return pump.

I run a Speedwave DC-6000 and have been impressed.
It will run $15 to $20 more than a Mag 12, but will push the same amount of water using less than half the electricity.
Added benefits include a soft start feature to reduce stop/start stress and a flow rate controller if you don't want to run it wide open.
 
Thanks for the help so far. I haven't bought anything but the tank yet so the equipment is still in the research stage.
 
I agree with the sump recommendation above but would say at least a 75 gallon. Also, drill it versus overflow box. Finally get a better skimmer IMO.
 
The only drawback to drilling is the risk of fracturing the glass.
Make darn sure you know what you are doing or find someone who knows what they are doing.

If the glass cracks the entire tank will have to be replaced.
 
You may want to look into a DC power return pump.

I run a Speedwave DC-6000 and have been impressed.
It will run $15 to $20 more than a Mag 12, but will push the same amount of water using less than half the electricity.
Added benefits include a soft start feature to reduce stop/start stress and a flow rate controller if you don't want to run it wide open.

Do you think the dc-5000 would work also?
 
With a little research and some recommendations, I've made some changes to my equipment list. What do you guys think.

Lifereef overflow
Melevsreef 75 gallon sump
Aquamaxx co-2 skimmer
Eheim 1262 return
(2) Finnex 300 watt heaters...Do you guys put them in the DT or the sump, or one in each?
 
I've got a lifereef dual overflow and it works flawlessly. No problems during or after a power outage or performing water changes. I also have a finnex - 500 watt I believe. I keep it in my return portion of my sump.

Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new