Recommended Equipment For My New 180

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finally got myself what I consider, a dream tank. 180 gallons of pure enjoyment(hopefully). I have never had a tank even close to this size before. I'm looking for some help with required equipment for a tank this size. I know the basics, skimmer, fuge, heater, etc. I'm looking more for recommendations on gph, size, flow, and other number related items. I would appreciate any help with this. I really don't want to mess this up.
I've come up with a small list so far. Feel free to let me know if any of it is a bad idea or could be better.

CPR CS102 overflow box w/lifter pump
(2) Finnex titanium 500 watt heater
mag drive 12 return pump
eshopps s-200 skimmer
eshopps r-300 sump/fuge
reefkeeper lite controller
(2)mp 40

Thanks everybody in advance

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you've got it all down. What are you thinking your missing?
You've got the MP40s, you'll be running those at around maybe up around 2000gph apiece. I think that running them flat out might be a bit much.

OP
OP
Bryon

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure if what I have on my list is good enough; quality, reliability, flow.

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff you have will do the job. There are better equipment out there, but it all depends on what you want to spend. Make sure the controller you buy can do everything you plan to have down the road, it is cheaper in the long run often to get the full-size controllers up front then adding on later downthe road.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Nothing wrong with what you've got there.

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna throw it out there, but I'd run a custom sump in there instead of the eShoppes. Full disclosure, I have an R100, and it's fine for what it is, but for the money, a 55G tank with baffles would do just fine. (Especially when you can get $1/gallon at Petco for a little while longer.) I'd also drill the tank and use a Glass-Holes overflow instead of the CPR. Again, full disclosure, I have both, and I am far more comfortable with a gravity fed system instead of relying on an Aqualifter. Finally, if you're set on the ReefKeeper Lite, at least get the Plus because more than likely, you'll need the extra power outlets. The Elite will do a few things the Lite won't, but not much. Mac

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 180, I use a mag 12 return, 2 MP40s, a home made roughneck storage container as a sump with a SWC 180 cone skimmer. My only suggestion would maybe get two smaller heaters instead of one large one. If one fails at least the one can hold you over. I use two 300 watt heaters.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ditch the aqua lifter pump and run a maxi jet 1200 instead, way more reliable.

Braver69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would ditch the reef keeper and use that cash to get a bigger skimmer. I had the s-200 on my 210 and it will be taxed on your tank, I upgraded mine to a RLSS R8-I. I Love this skimmer and I think you will be happy with it on your tank and it only costs a bit more the the eshopps.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to look into a DC power return pump.

I run a Speedwave DC-6000 and have been impressed.
It will run $15 to $20 more than a Mag 12, but will push the same amount of water using less than half the electricity.
Added benefits include a soft start feature to reduce stop/start stress and a flow rate controller if you don't want to run it wide open.

OP
OP
Bryon

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help so far. I haven't bought anything but the tank yet so the equipment is still in the research stage.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the sump recommendation above but would say at least a 75 gallon. Also, drill it versus overflow box. Finally get a better skimmer IMO.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only drawback to drilling is the risk of fracturing the glass.
Make darn sure you know what you are doing or find someone who knows what they are doing.

If the glass cracks the entire tank will have to be replaced.

OP
OP
Bryon

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to look into a DC power return pump.

I run a Speedwave DC-6000 and have been impressed.
It will run $15 to $20 more than a Mag 12, but will push the same amount of water using less than half the electricity.
Added benefits include a soft start feature to reduce stop/start stress and a flow rate controller if you don't want to run it wide open.

Do you think the dc-5000 would work also?

OP
OP
Bryon

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a little research and some recommendations, I've made some changes to my equipment list. What do you guys think.

Lifereef overflow
Melevsreef 75 gallon sump
Aquamaxx co-2 skimmer
Eheim 1262 return
(2) Finnex 300 watt heaters...Do you guys put them in the DT or the sump, or one in each?

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a lifereef dual overflow and it works flawlessly. No problems during or after a power outage or performing water changes. I also have a finnex - 500 watt I believe. I keep it in my return portion of my sump.

Good luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back