Recommended LFS?

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm new to MD and new to the saltwater hobby. Does anyone have recommendations on local fish stores? and if any of them QT/ will QT for you? I live in Gaithersburg.

DCReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi kmjorge! Welcome to R2R!

I am myself a new saltwater hobbyist (at least in personal practice) and live in Gaithersburg. I live on the northern side (which is "technically" Damascus), so finding a good LFS was tough. There are two that I currently have been working with as I feel it's good to diversify your supply chain and broaden your community to solicit advice and guidance.

I bought my tank (Pro Clear Prostar 150 V2) and most of my accessories from Aquatic Creations in Ijamsville, MD (on 355). The proprietor there has been in the business a long time and is very responsive. The store hours can be a bit tough to make work depending on your circumstances, but I have been happy with my experience there. I am not sure of the QT services, but I do know that they use UV sterilizers and dose copper.

I have also been to Fintastic Aquariums of Frederick and picked up my initial livestock there. They tested my water for free and spent time with me each and every time I was there. It's a cozy location, but it's full of tanks and has a wonderful variety of livestock. They usually post once a week with some of the new shipments they receive. This store also doses copper. They do not QT directly there at the store, but when I asked they said that there was a 3rd party that could do this for you. I didn't explore that too much, but I'm sure if you called them they would expand on that a bit more.

I haven't ventured out much from those two locations. I wanted to keep my trips to the LFS close to 30-ish minutes, which these satisfy that desire (on most days - traffic in our area can be somewhat unpredictable).

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi kmjorge! Welcome to R2R!

I am myself a new saltwater hobbyist (at least in personal practice) and live in Gaithersburg. I live on the northern side (which is "technically" Damascus), so finding a good LFS was tough. There are two that I currently have been working with as I feel it's good to diversify your supply chain and broaden your community to solicit advice and guidance.

I bought my tank (Pro Clear Prostar 150 V2) and most of my accessories from Aquatic Creations in Ijamsville, MD (on 355). The proprietor there has been in the business a long time and is very responsive. The store hours can be a bit tough to make work depending on your circumstances, but I have been happy with my experience there. I am not sure of the QT services, but I do know that they use UV sterilizers and dose copper.

I have also been to Fintastic Aquariums of Frederick and picked up my initial livestock there. They tested my water for free and spent time with me each and every time I was there. It's a cozy location, but it's full of tanks and has a wonderful variety of livestock. They usually post once a week with some of the new shipments they receive. This store also doses copper. They do not QT directly there at the store, but when I asked they said that there was a 3rd party that could do this for you. I didn't explore that too much, but I'm sure if you called them they would expand on that a bit more.

I haven't ventured out much from those two locations. I wanted to keep my trips to the LFS close to 30-ish minutes, which these satisfy that desire (on most days - traffic in our area can be somewhat unpredictable).

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your response! This was very helpful. I agree, when I was searching for a LFS in the area, there weren't too many near by. I'll be sure to check these locations out.

Nano Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re not limited to just your area there Pacific East Aquaculture by ocean city. They also ship cheaper if it’s in Maryland. There’s also House Of Tropicals in Glen Burnie which is pretty nice.

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re not limited to just your area there Pacific East Aquaculture by ocean city. They also ship cheaper if it’s in Maryland. There’s also House Of Tropicals in Glen Burnie which is pretty nice.
Thanks for the tips! I’ll look into them for sure!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips! I’ll look into them for sure!

About a year ago I was back home in Maryland, took my mom over onto the Eastern Shore and got to see Pacific East Aquaculture - WOW!!

This is the video I took while I was there... wish they were closer (or wish I moved back home lol) - this is MORE than a LFS - special hours so check out their website for details:

Back