Recommended microscope?

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make and store water change water outside in a 40ish gallon brute trashcan. My current batch has been sitting outside for 3-4 weeks now. The can is fully covered with a snap on lid but does get a couple of hours of direct sunlight every day.

I've gone through about 2/3s of the water so about 1/3 of it left in the can. After about 3 weeks, it seems a brown residue below the water line has formed (which I am told could be either some form of cyano or maybe diatoms). In either case, I'd like to get a sample, put under a microscope and post on R2R to get confirmation.

Is there a recommended microscope I can use to view, take pictures/record video of a sample to post online? Obviously something low cost would be preferable.

OP
OP
A

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the way I read it sounded like you got diatoms in your storage container, or is it your tank?
just wondering if you planned on killing it, eventually ...pardon

The residue is in the saltwater storage container.

You might be giving me more credit than I deserve. I don't know about using bleach in any way for saltwater other than to perhaps to completely sanitize an old tank. Does dropping a tiny bit of bleach kill the diatoms? Is that an effective approach to storing saltwater long term? And, is there a danger that residual bleach could get introduced into the display tank as part of a water change?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The residue is in the saltwater storage container.

You might be giving me more credit than I deserve. I don't know about using bleach in any way for saltwater other than to perhaps to completely sanitize an old tank. Does dropping a tiny bit of bleach kill the diatoms? Is that an effective approach to storing saltwater long term? And, is there a danger that residual bleach could get introduced into the display tank as part of a water change?
LOL, I was afraid I might have annoyed you somehow...whew
Yeah I’d drop maybe 1ml per 5gal should do it, .. try a lil more if it doesn’t work...
if bleach scares ya try peroxide, but I’m 100% confident if you stir, aerate or let 24hrs pass, no worries ...
I keep 1lb of Sodium Thiosulphate (Amazon) on hand regardless; its cheap dechlor and $5 is a lifetime supply

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back