Recovering from velvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm pretty sure I just got hit with velvet. lost three fish in 48 hours with no prior warning signs. Now my last three fish are either hiding from in tunnels or spending their time at the top of the tank. getting a QT tank set up for them, but I'm afraid its probably too late.

I plan to bleach my live rock and start over, to ensure i get rid of all traces of velvet, and I have learned why to QT all fish in the future. My main concern is for my few frags and inverts. Are they going to be carriers of Velvet or will they be ok to place back into the tank after going though a QT period?

Also is there any need for filtration to store the corals in the meantime, do they produce any waste to turn into ammonia?

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to get the fish out . They carry stuff, not rocks, sand, inverts , etc. Treat the fish in QT and leave the tank fallow with the inverts, rock, sand, etc. Everything nasty (whether it is Ich, MV, whatever ) will not have a host and it will die off. I would not touch the rocks. I would leave the filtration going and would probably throw something in for the inverts to eat depending on what you have and their needs.

What fish are still alive? What are your parameters and how is your oxygen exchange? Did the fish show any visible signs of disease? I'm asking because fish dying can be several things. Fish hanging out at the top of the tank (unless they normally do) is odd).

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a cardinal, clown, and chrome all within 48 hrs. Chromie was the only one that showed any distress. He was breathing hard swimming into the current, and looked like he lost some scales on his upper body. Now I have two Chromies and a Coral Beauty all either spending their time at the very top inch of the tank, or hiding from light in caves. None have obvious physical signs. All the signs presented line up with what I've read on the forum. I've read about the fallow periods, but want to ensure i do not go through this again.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameters? Was there a new addition to the tank recently?

Fallow works, especially if you go overkill on the time. I had MV wipe out my 240 just about a year ago. I went super hypo and fallow for 12 weeks (it was fish-only). It's back up and running and fish have been doing fine.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are all in check. Newest fish were a couple months ago. Newest frags were all about a month ago. Only difference lately is that I had one power head go out. But still had one going. Only went for about 24 hrs without two.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the stories I've heard (and my two experiences) are that MV comes in with new fish. It shouldn't come in with frags. It could, just not very likely, IMO.

The powerhead is probably not the cause. If you have proper oxygen exchange (skimmer and some surface water agitation) it's not that.

By parameters "in check", you mean zero ammonia and nitrites and reasonably low trates? Salinity and temperature is okay too?

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity and temp have been stable. No big changes other than the power head going out.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be Velvet, but with my fish, you could kinda see the powdery/dusty coating that you hear /read about. It wiped out my tank in about 4 days, but I had just added a fish (had not been QT'd ).

I'd take a shot at QT and fallow. Like I said, cleaning the rock still leaves sand and/or water for it to "hide".

I'm crossing my fingers for you. Maybe others here will have other ideas of possible culprits?

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I can figure it out. Thanks for the advise

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the behavioral symptoms you described point to velvet. It can be such a fast killer that sometimes visible symptoms will not show - the dinospores invade the gills & the fish suffocates to death before anything even appears on the skin. Or sometimes the dust does not show until postmortem - sometimes not at all.

Best treatment option is Chloroquine phosphate, but copper is a more practical option. Fallow period for velvet is 6 weeks. I am sorry for your losses. :sad:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back