Recovery time for bleached sps

Mrussell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this piece a RAP a couple weeks ago. After carrying it around all day and a long car ride home followed by a bayer dip it completely bleached out. In your experience how long does it take for a Coral’s color to come back from being bleached out bone white?
F274A1E1-B55D-41E0-B703-8025FC9CF693.jpeg

facebooksux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this is one of those things that is impossible to predict. The cause of bleaching(loss of color, not RTN), current tank parameters, presence of one or more pathogens... etc. The ability to provide a legitimate answer is impossible without knowing a myriad of circumstances.... that said, you are best off taking measures to ensure that no common pests have reached your system. Bayer dip at the least would help substantially, a close inspection afterwards would help as well.

FacebookJail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above post is spot on, too many variables. When coloring back up its important to make sure they aren't receiving too much par, in fact below normal par. Also make sure there are sufficient nutrient levels. all IMO/IME

OP
OP
Mrussell

Mrussell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. I have experienced color loss in sps but I have never had a coral fully bleach immediately (within an hour of being added) and continue to live. It looks like there is a little green starting to show up on the tips. I will continue to keep my nutrients up and hope for the best...Corals like this usually end up being my favorite pieces, watching them survive and then Thrive is what makes this hobby so fun!

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does PAR matter if a coral is already bleached? The dinos that it has left won't be able to over produce energy. Is it to prevent algae growth? I see the "logic" behind low PAR, but I don't understand the science behind it.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time varies.

I had this bleached acro back in June 16 of this year. And it took until July 3rd to gwt its color back. So only a few weeks for me. I had mine sitting mid top of my tank

20190616_130353.jpg
20190718_115533.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does PAR matter if a coral is already bleached? The dinos that it has left won't be able to over produce energy. Is it to prevent algae growth? I see the "logic" behind low PAR, but I don't understand the science behind it.
I think it is to just allow the coral to recover...it takes a lot of "energy" to be under intense lighting.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm.. i just posted in sps forum.. what would you recomend to bring up nitrate.. I think my frags in QT are going pale due to lack of nitrate.. thanks

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm.. i just posted in sps forum.. what would you recomend to bring up nitrate.. I think my frags in QT are going pale due to lack of nitrate.. thanks
I use this stuff but there are a bunch of different options available for raising nitrates.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back