Red bugs in high temperature

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weather is in the hundreds the past few weeks in California and it's getting difficult cooling a tank down using just your house AC. I just added a fan a few days ago over the tank but before that for weeks the temperature was above 83 degrees Fahrenheit. Now most people claim not to go over 81-82 degrees but my tank settled at that almost all the time and it's been stable that way for years. Since the temperate was raised above 83 degrees almost up to 85 I've notice barely any red bugs left in my tank. I do have a dragon faced pipefish and he is doing something about the population but I've heard that lowering the temperature kills red bugs but what about raising it? I can barely find any of these suckers on acros now. What do you guys think?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself don't know but lets see what the crew comes up with.

[HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found a couple of articles/posts about red bugs and the use hart-worm med's to get rid of them here is the video, but nothing about heating a cooling so far.

hotnickz07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently dealing with them as well. However, im going the medicinal route.. i aint got time to play games. 2 interceptor treatments and they should be gone.
Screenshot_2016-06-27-17-45-05.png

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interceptor is what is used against them.
When I was studying them in 2008 extreme temperatures did not kill them but more aggravate them.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interceptor is what is used against them.
When I was studying them in 2008 extreme temperatures did not kill them but more aggravate them.
Interesting. I have dipped my acros in coral rx pro and seen a decrease in red bugs. I have a few left but my dragon faced pipefish goes to town on them. I like to do whatever I can to make sure that medicating the tank is the last resort and so far the high temperature hasn't so much aggravated them since I barely can find them anymore.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back