Red Bugs - Need Help

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I came across red bugs while looking at my tank with my flashlight. I was looking for polyp extension on my SPS because some of them seem to be irritated, and my hawkins echinata has been having some tissue recession. This all make sense now based on what I saw last night. So I need some advice based on my tank and the ramifications of using interceptor as a treatment.

Based on my research, the only effective way to rid yourself of redbugs is to treat with milbemycin oxime (interceptor). I have reached out to my vet in the hopes to get a prescription. Assuming that happens, it appears that 23mg of the active ingredient can treat 400 gal, I have a 20gal tank so I would only need to add 1.15mg (scaled to the overall pill weight). I have access to very precise balances so this isn't an issue.

My plan would be to remove all of my carbon, remove my skimmer collection cup, and dose this at night after the lights go off. My tank is an AIO, so I am not sure what to do with all of my clean up crew? I have snails and hermits, I know my hermits will die if I leave them, so I am thinking to put them into a ziplock and just float them while the treatment is going on, is this viable? Do I I also need to do the same with my snails?

After the overnight treatment, I will do a ~35% WC, run carbon heavy, and skim wet to remove the remaining medicine. After several hours of running like that I will reintroduce my hermits (and snails if necessary) to my tank. Am I missing anything, or do you have any recommendations for me? I have never treated for red bugs before, and I am not sure the best course of action for my CUC. Thank you!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have treated many tanks for redbugs using Inceptor, I do not remember the dosage rates, but I know I have doubled dosed before with no issue, also corals love that artificial beef flavor! :p

It sounds like you are on the right track, however I have always waited 2 weeks before adding back in pods/hemits/shrimp back in. Keep skimmer running during treatment, just cut off air, remove collection cup.

I'd only do 15% wc 24hrs after treatment then wait a few days and do another 15% wc, I dont see a big reason to do a large 35% WC, but that's just me, I assume you are just waiting to add hermits back ASAP?

Also I have always double treated for RBs, treat once, wait a week or so and treat again just to be sure as I have seen them come back a month or so after a single treatment despite not having added more coral

Edit: Are you using Dustin Dortons recommended dosage?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I came across red bugs while looking at my tank with my flashlight. I was looking for polyp extension on my SPS because some of them seem to be irritated, and my hawkins echinata has been having some tissue recession. This all make sense now based on what I saw last night. So I need some advice based on my tank and the ramifications of using interceptor as a treatment.

Based on my research, the only effective way to rid yourself of redbugs is to treat with milbemycin oxime (interceptor). I have reached out to my vet in the hopes to get a prescription. Assuming that happens, it appears that 23mg of the active ingredient can treat 400 gal, I have a 20gal tank so I would only need to add 1.15mg (scaled to the overall pill weight). I have access to very precise balances so this isn't an issue.

My plan would be to remove all of my carbon, remove my skimmer collection cup, and dose this at night after the lights go off. My tank is an AIO, so I am not sure what to do with all of my clean up crew? I have snails and hermits, I know my hermits will die if I leave them, so I am thinking to put them into a ziplock and just float them while the treatment is going on, is this viable? Do I I also need to do the same with my snails?

After the overnight treatment, I will do a ~35% WC, run carbon heavy, and skim wet to remove the remaining medicine. After several hours of running like that I will reintroduce my hermits (and snails if necessary) to my tank. Am I missing anything, or do you have any recommendations for me? I have never treated for red bugs before, and I am not sure the best course of action for my CUC. Thank you!
When I first brought this up to my vet it was a matter of ethics and the oath. I explained it was a preventive to treat redbugs or a treatment for redbugs. I was armed with copies of the use for coral that I got off here I think. He looked it up and agreed to write the prescription for 'coral', I used to make a bath in a 5g bucket, using 1/4 of the pill, small heater and pump and let them sit for 6 hrs. up-on arrival of SPS. Always came out good. That size pill was up to 60lb.dog (I think). I always had leftover so I threw them out past the ex. date. I asked him and they're still ok 1 yr. after ex. date then lose potency. The last refill I asked for is for for dogs 11-25lbs. I won't need to cut them. Of course you only get 6 tabs this way instead of multiples by cutting them up. I have a small tank so I don't plan on buying a lot of SPS and usually I purchase more than one at a time. I'm going back to this method, it seemed gentle on the coral. I also use the coral dip from UWC.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP- Like DHill6 mentioned, print out some information about it to provide your vet, they will be much more willing to help if they fully understand what they are treating.

I recommend providing this article to your vet as it covers the use and dosage for Inceptor

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here are some important facts on ridding of these bugs. You are correct that interceptor is obtained through a vet. What some people don't know is that " Doramectin)" is an alternative to interceptor and cheaper. SO, We mix it with water and add to tank, correct ?
Actually NOT !!!! Here is what you do:
One tablet of Interceptor should treat 400g of water. To be safe, remove all the hermit crabs and shrimp you can find in your reef, putting them in a safe tank separate from your reef. Give them circulation, a heater and top off daily to maintain salinity while in quarantine for their safety.

Crush up the pill until it is dust, and mix it in a cup of tank water. stir it for several minutes until it is fully dissolved. Remove the venturi tube leading to the skimmer's pumps so that no air is being injected into the body of the skimmer The medicine should have the ability to travel through all the water in aquarium including in any equipment such as skimmers and calcium reactors. Turn off any reactors you running Introduce this at midnight when all the fish go off to sleep and poured the medication into an area of high flow, and let it smother the red bugs over the next 12 hours.

Each day at noon, reinstall the tubing to the skimmer pumps to resume skimming the water. You shouldn't find any red bugs in your tank after this initial treatment. Repeat this 7 days later, and then again 7 days after that. Three treatments over 3 weeks is considered necessary to remove any possible future generations from emerging from the reef to re-infest the corals.

After the third and final treatment is administered, the water will be safe for the shrimp and crabs. This is not a treatment you have to fear. And the more of us that do it, the less likely we will share such pests with one another when trading frags. Always treat new coral arrivals with an Interceptor bath for at least 6 hours to keep your reef red bug free.

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP- Like DHill6 mentioned, print out some information about it to provide your vet, they will be much more willing to help if they fully understand what they are treating.

I recommend providing this article to your vet as it covers the use and dosage for Inceptor

Thank you! I will provide the documentation to my veterinarian. My biggest concern is what I should do with my hermits. I don’t have a spare tank that I can put them in, and I don’t have a sump that I can isolate from the main tank. I am not sure what to do with them. Also do I need to remove snails as well as hermits?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd only do 15% wc 24hrs after treatment then wait a few days and do another 15% wc, I dont see a big reason to do a large 35% WC, but that's just me, I assume you are just waiting to add hermits back ASAP?

If he has a huge flatworm population, I'd recommend a very large water change. Milbemycin oxime does a good number on flatworms from what I have seen from my usage. The treatment drug won't affect corals much but the die off of flatworms will.

Also, you can now purchase milbemycin oxime in a liquid solution. It's call Dr. G's Coral Dip. I always have about 2 bottles under the cabinet. It's far more effective than Coral RX and it's much easier on the corals. However, each bottle is very pricey.

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some important facts on ridding of these bugs. You are correct that interceptor is obtained through a vet. What some people don't know is that " Doramectin)" is an alternative to interceptor and cheaper. SO, We mix it with water and add to tank, correct ?
Actually NOT !!!! Here is what you do:
One tablet of Interceptor should treat 400g of water. To be safe, remove all the hermit crabs and shrimp you can find in your reef, putting them in a safe tank separate from your reef. Give them circulation, a heater and top off daily to maintain salinity while in quarantine for their safety.

Crush up the pill until it is dust, and mix it in a cup of tank water. stir it for several minutes until it is fully dissolved. Remove the venturi tube leading to the skimmer's pumps so that no air is being injected into the body of the skimmer The medicine should have the ability to travel through all the water in aquarium including in any equipment such as skimmers and calcium reactors. Turn off any reactors you running Introduce this at midnight when all the fish go off to sleep and poured the medication into an area of high flow, and let it smother the red bugs over the next 12 hours.

Each day at noon, reinstall the tubing to the skimmer pumps to resume skimming the water. You shouldn't find any red bugs in your tank after this initial treatment. Repeat this 7 days later, and then again 7 days after that. Three treatments over 3 weeks is considered necessary to remove any possible future generations from emerging from the reef to re-infest the corals.

After the third and final treatment is administered, the water will be safe for the shrimp and crabs. This is not a treatment you have to fear. And the more of us that do it, the less likely we will share such pests with one another when trading frags. Always treat new coral arrivals with an Interceptor bath for at least 6 hours to keep your reef red bug free.
Thank you! My biggest concern is that I only have one small tank and it’s an AIO so I don’t have anywhere else to put my hermits. I was thinking of floating them in a ziplock during the time I am treating so they will stay at temp? Any thoughts

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To expand on my previous comment, my vet asked me how I used it again, since it's been awhile, he figured out the smaller dose so I wouldn't have to cut them up, there again it was my choice, I could've done it either way. I also stated I wanted Interceptor not Interceptor Plus, since I'm not sure on that one. He had the assistant took it up to see if it was still available. I ordered from Chewy.com

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he has a huge flatworm population, I'd recommend a very large water change. Milbemycin oxime does a good number on flatworms from what I have seen from my usage. The treatment drug won't affect corals much but the die off of flatworms will.

Also, you can now purchase milbemycin oxime in a liquid solution. It's call Dr. G's Coral Dip. I always have about 2 bottles under the cabinet. It's far more effective than Coral RX and it's much easier on the corals. However, each bottle is very pricey.
Can I use Dr. G’s on a whole reef vs a dip? I believe the bottle says you should not use to treat an established reef

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! My biggest concern is that I only have one small tank and it’s an AIO so I don’t have anywhere else to put my hermits. I was thinking of floating them in a ziplock during the time I am treating so they will stay at temp? Any thoughts
Use a bucket, sm pump and heater

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Even a med Rubbermaid accessory box will suffice.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think that would be good, air in bag is like being shipped

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have not noticed a flatworm issue, the only coral I’ve seen a big issue with is my Hawkins, and from what I’ve read the red bugs prefer smooth skin acros. I will recheck for flatworms though

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have never treated a tank for redbugs that ALSO has a red planaria fw infestation so I am unaware of the effect milbemycin oxime has on them.

Dr. Gs dip is good stuff, but not suitable for in tank treatment like Interceptor is.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never treated a tank for redbugs that ALSO has a red planaria fw infestation so I am unaware of the effect milbemycin oxime has on them.

Dr. Gs dip is good stuff, but not suitable for in tank treatment like Interceptor is.

Dr. G's and Interceptor are the same thing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back