Red cyanobacteria

Fat_Fender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dealing with this stuff for awhile now, from alot of reading its seems that raising nitrates will help prevent this stuff coming back.
have used red slime remover but comes back within a week.

I'm running a 30g tank with 2 clowns, 2 trochus snails, 1 cleaner shrimp, heaps of baby trochus snails.
6 corals, all growing well
2 wavemakers
hd16 on a 8hr cycle
500L skimmer

Tank 1.5years old

Ammonia: 0.25 (tested after a feeding)
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
P04: 0 maybe 00.3 (so hard to tell giesemann test kit)
Use ro/di water

So got myself some "coral essentials nitrate up"

Questions:
1. How much should I up my nitrate ppm per day/week? (how much is too much at once)
2. I have 3 large xport bio bricks in my sump from my older bigger tank, would this cause problems so much media for a small tank? 3

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like your skimmer is oversized for your setup. Before adding chemicals, have you tried natural methods like over feeding and turning off your skimmer for part of the day?

OP
OP
F

Fat_Fender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like your skimmer is oversized for your setup. Before adding chemicals, have you tried natural methods like over feeding and turning off your skimmer for part of the day?

Yes turned skimmer off for about 2-3 weeks, its normally on a timer only a few hours a day but still had it growing like crazy, started this week feeding twice a day much heavier than normal.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You haven’t tried a rip clean, which has the most cyano cures logged for any fix.

try and find ones we could not cure in one pass

that thread has more cyano cures than any thread on the web

the reason a 30 gallon is best for the job is because it’s easy to take apart, and clean, and reassemble skip cycle perfect. The chance of it working is 99%

the chance you have a shocking nice tank after re assembly is 100% we show for six years. That’s maybe three hundred before and after jobs, they are all the same pick any link and message them years after, see if they liked it. There’s two in there we couldn’t fix its like a puzzle hunt to find em though, meshed in with total one pass fixes.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 172 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back