Red Dragon pump

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ,
I want to order that pump ,manufacture by Royal exclusive.
I cant find any information about her flow rate, only her power at Wats- (its 100 wats)
Anyone knows what is the flow rate of that pump ?

My system is building up ,and will be ready in 2 months .
The Display tank is 500 liters + frag tank of 200 liters (will be running at the same pump).
What do you think ? is that pump too strong for my tank ?

20211030_111100.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello ,
I want to order that pump ,manufacture by Royal exclusive.
I cant find any information about her flow rate, only her power at Wats- (its 100 wats)
Anyone knows what is the flow rate of that pump ?

My system is building up ,and will be ready in 2 months .
The Display tank is 500 liters + frag tank of 200 liters (will be running at the same pump).
The 100 watt Red Dragon 3 Speedy pump produces up to 3100 gph.
Should be fine for your system.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey @Yanir34 , I made a mistake. I looked at the wrong pump. The 3100 gph figure was for the regular pressure pump.
The high pressure RD3 100 watt pump is rated at 2400gph.

This should still be plenty of power for your system.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing to be aware of is replacement costs if the controller or pump dies. So make sure you understand that this is a premium product with related costs.

Another thing.. get a very good surge protector setup for it. Not just a strip plug. The controller is sensitive. So you want at least a Belkin quality type of surge protector. Not something dirt cheap. Quite a few of us have a pump sitting around and unable to buy the old style controller anymore. That caught me off guard since I considered this a premium product which should have premium support over a many year period. Sending a pump to Germany is not a viable option and 75% of the cost of a new pump not a great solution.

Speaking of USA support. It is not lightning fast. They definitely help when emailed but depending on when you email it could be a while before they respond.

With all that said I am on my second pump from them. Super quiet, reliable, and you can fully expect seven to ten years of perfect operation. My controller died after many years and I did not hesitate to buy another but this time protect it better. I also down sized to the 50 watt. They push sooo much water with ease. I used to own the 80 watt.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am on 8 years with both my 80watt and my 150 watt RD3.
One thing I did not know in the first few years, is that when you want to power off the pump, I guess you are supposed to use the controller to decrease the power until the led read-out says zero, then turn off the power to the pump.
I guess just turning off the power to the pump without powering it down is hard on the controller.
If/when either of mine fail and can't be repaired, I will most likely replace it with a new RD3 pump.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Speaking of USA support. It is not lightning fast. They definitely help when emailed but depending on when you email it could be a while before they respond.

I know this might a little controversial, but I have found very fast support on Facebook.
I know not everybody uses FB or even agrees with the need to use it, but I've gotten near instant answers to questions using that platform.
I was dragged into it kicking and screaming, but since then, have found a use for it.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this might a little controversial, but I have found very fast support on Facebook.
I know not everybody uses FB or even agrees with the need to use it, but I've gotten near instant answers to questions using that platform.
I was dragged into it kicking and screaming, but since then, have found a use for it.

I tried calling their number on their usa website during biz hours and a lady answered who had no idea what I wanted. That number is prob out of date and not updated and goes to someone else. So I emailed. I don't use fb much anymore.

I ended up over nighting a new royal exclusiv pump from brs after that experience. No email reply during biz hours that day and the number does not work.

Basically I knew when I emailed about my old controller dying that my support experience was going to be poor because others already went through it. Old controller style pumps are crap out of luck now days.

With that said I tried and they gave me options, discounts, etc.. but no reasonable solution like letting me buy an old style controller and swapping it out myself. It is just 3 connectors inside the box all colored. Not rocket science. But nope. But like I said they did correspond back and forth a few times. I had a feeling they wanted to let me down gently.

I will try to find a used controller some day... I hope.

At least brs had 20% off sale going on. My timing was good for buying new.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150W, and love it. They are completely silent, but I will 2nd the use of a surge protector, the controllers can fry and are costly to replace. Only complaint is the GPH is way off, at least according to my flow sensors. Get the biggest you can afford, and just dial down to what you need, IMO. You can always use it after the next upgrade, that way!

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I tried calling their number on their usa website during biz hours and a lady answered who had no idea what I wanted. That number is prob out of date and not updated and goes to someone else. So I emailed. I don't use fb much anymore.

I ended up over nighting a new royal exclusiv pump from brs after that experience. No email reply during biz hours that day and the number does not work.

Basically I knew when I emailed about my old controller dying that my support experience was going to be poor because others already went through it. Old controller style pumps are crap out of luck now days.

With that said I tried and they gave me options, discounts, etc.. but no reasonable solution like letting me buy an old style controller and swapping it out myself. It is just 3 connectors inside the box all colored. Not rocket science. But nope. But like I said they did correspond back and forth a few times. I had a feeling they wanted to let me down gently.

I will try to find a used controller some day... I hope.

At least brs had 20% off sale going on. My timing was good for buying new.
What about apex eb832. Is that enough for a surge protector or we need better. Also what controller they discontinued ?

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about apex eb832. Is that enough for a surge protector or we need better. Also what controller they discontinued ?

I mean something like this.

I cannot tell if that apex gear can do the same thing as a true basic quality surge protector.

The controller was connected to the pump directly. You could not disconnect the two easily like you can now. You had to open the controller box and pull 3 connectors to replace the controller. They improved it with an actual 3 pin connector now. You can see it in the new pics.

Edited to add: on neptune forum they clearly state apex gear has circuit breakers but NO surge protection at all. None.

One thing I noticed with my old dragon pump is when I inserted the plug I would always get, for a lack of a better way to explain it, a snap or spark of electricity. When I plug into this new surge protector outlet I don't get that. It is a clean silent insert of the plug.

Now I ran on that old strip plug which was fed directly from a gfci outler for many many years. Every time I did a water change I just unplugged it. One day my controller died. Unplugged and plugged it back in after a water change. Just stopped working. I always ran it on a low wattage. 36 I think it was. In the 30s. Never high. I didn't need the full power.

So this time with my new dragon pump I upgraded my strip plug to that belkin which goes directly to a gfci outlet. That is the best I can do I reckon. Pretty cheap money to upgrade from a basic strip plug to something of better quality.

I know.. not very technical... but eh... what can I do except try something better going forward.

Last edited:

Spartan1218

Lost on Aisle 18
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything that I have been reading on the Neptune stuff is that it does not have a surge protector built in. I would have thought that it did, but their forums say nope.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overpriced. Way overpriced. If you want to throw good money away overpriced. Been running a $110 jebao for 5 years that runs a little higher flow, as my basement pump for a 1150 ltr system. Oh and its running my whole set up with 45W it maxes out ay 80W but I dont have to run it but less than half output. I keep a spare on hand because their so affordable. Its paid for itself in electricity savings many times over. Im used to running the best and 20 years ago that was Iwaki. I now use my iwaki for my mixing station. Due to its high AC consumption.

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean something like this.

I cannot tell if that apex gear can do the same thing as a true basic quality surge protector.

The controller was connected to the pump directly. You could not disconnect the two easily like you can now. You had to open the controller box and pull 3 connectors to replace the controller. They improved it with an actual 3 pin connector now. You can see it in the new pics.

Edited to add: on neptune forum they clearly state apex gear has circuit breakers but NO surge protection at all. None.

One thing I noticed with my old dragon pump is when I inserted the plug I would always get, for a lack of a better way to explain it, a snap or spark of electricity. When I plug into this new surge protector outlet I don't get that. It is a clean silent insert of the plug.

Now I ran on that old strip plug which was fed directly from a gfci outler for many many years. Every time I did a water change I just unplugged it. One day my controller died. Unplugged and plugged it back in after a water change. Just stopped working. I always ran it on a low wattage. 36 I think it was. In the 30s. Never high. I didn't need the full power.

So this time with my new dragon pump I upgraded my strip plug to that belkin which goes directly to a gfci outlet. That is the best I can do I reckon. Pretty cheap money to upgrade from a basic strip plug to something of better quality.

I know.. not very technical... but eh... what can I do except try something better going forward.
Question, can you just plug it into the power strip your talking about and use the controller that way, eliminating the use of the apex?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back