RED DRAGON.. Whats the big hype??

tanked37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you, like other "delicate" acros this one shouldn't be dipped, and when dipped the solution needs to be heavily diluted. It got through a interceptor treatment with no issues though.

I dipped mine in 5ml of bayer in 1 cup of tank water for 10mins. It handled that fine. The only thing I've noticed is that mine is a bit sensitive to high light. The lower in the tank the better it has done at least right now.

shlap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine about 2 months ago as a 1.5" frag and one of the fish must have bumped it and broke it off to the base. By the time I found the piece it was bleached out on the sand. There's a dime size piece still encrusted on the rock though with about 4 polyps on it. Hopefully it'll decide to take off here eventually. :(

Lovelia_Renatha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's one of my favorites too. I bought mine from CITR about the time Tyree added it as a LE. Paid the price but it was worth it to me as the growth pattern - at least at the time- was unique.

Dragon10-15-12.jpg
beautifull :tongue:

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a cheap frag of it at MACNA for $20. It's not really the color I like, it's the cool growth patterns. Almost looks like a bonsai tree. I would never pay $100 for a frag, but it's definitely coming down in price. The little frag I got has easily doubled or tripled in size in just a few months.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$100 for a 1" frag is way overpriced. $40-$60 for a nice sized frag from a typical online store is reasonable for an actual Tyree or CITR. Cherry Corals is pretty **** expensive and I got a 2.5" frag from them for $60 about 4 or 5 months ago. Within 6 weeks the thing was taking off like a rocket and is the 2nd fastest growing coral in my tank. Because the branches are so thin and delicate, they grow very long, very, very fast. As long as they don't get obscene flow and light like you would give your millies and red planets, it'll grow like a weed just like everyone else says.

And good luck NOT fragging it if you are constantly putting your hands in the tank... taking off a branch or two is way easier than you would think!

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$100 for a 1" frag is way overpriced. $40-$60 for a nice sized frag from a typical online store is reasonable for an actual Tyree or CITR. Cherry Corals is pretty **** expensive and I got a 2.5" frag from them for $60 about 4 or 5 months ago. Within 6 weeks the thing was taking off like a rocket and is the 2nd fastest growing coral in my tank. Because the branches are so thin and delicate, they grow very long, very, very fast. As long as they don't get obscene flow and light like you would give your millies and red planets, it'll grow like a weed just like everyone else says.

And good luck NOT fragging it if you are constantly putting your hands in the tank... taking off a branch or two is way easier than you would think!

Right now live aquaria charges $130 for a 1 inch frag. My LFS has had it in the past for $100. But it's definitely dropping quickly

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't some of the demand for the Red Dragon because it is touted to be fast growing and an easy to keep acro? I am still new to acros and that combination appeals to me (who wants to fail with corals?). The branching pattern and the pinkish-red color is attractive (especially for an entry-level acro). Maybe not $100 for 1" attractive, but I might pay $30 plus shipping for a healthy frag.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't some of the demand for the Red Dragon because it is touted to be fast growing and an easy to keep acro? I am still new to acros and that combination appeals to me (who wants to fail with corals?). The branching pattern and the pinkish-red color is attractive (especially for an entry-level acro). Maybe not $100 for 1" attractive, but I might pay $30 plus shipping for a healthy frag.
You realize this thread is 5 years old now since the last post before you bumped it? You can get Red Dragon now at local swaps for $20. It is still a kind of cool growth pattern even by todays standards, but I would not call Red Dragon and easy to keep Acro as lots of people have had theirs die for no apparent reason.

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's good to know! $20, huh? That's worth the purchase risk for sure! Thanks for writing, I did not check the date on this thread.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's weird that the hype goes more to the red dragon than to the blue dragon which is way less common and just nicer. Still is love a colony of red dragon in my tank, tried a couple frags which same as the Pacman as well seem to be very difficult to get established.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have never got one of those in my Bali tranships! That's a nasty looking acro. I thought it was going to be all blue but it's just a blue tip version of the red dragon I guess. Still pretty cool! Why has this not made it to propagation in our tanks yet?

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red-Dragon-9-13.jpg

Not just one of my favorites but according to my guests, some of whom barely know a coral from a Corvette, say it's one of their favorites also. And with the sale of frags resulting in it paying for itself many times over, I wouldn't mind if they were $1000.00.

What kind of flow/light does this like?

Back