Red favia receding now looking better

  • Thread starter Thread starter dmy535
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dmy535

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 27, 2020
Messages
600
Reaction score
599
Location
usa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a bit worried. I have a new red favia that I purchased last month. Had been looking awesome up to this past 10 days or so. Thought maybe it was too much light or flow, so moved it to a lower light and lower flow area but it continued to recede and I could start to see the skeleton around the polyps beginning to show....

Testing parameters almost daily:

Dkh 8.7
Ph 8.0
Cal 450
Mag 1300
Salinity 1.026
Temp 78
Po4 .04
No2 = 2

this could just be an anomaly or, they could be related... maybe not... anyways today did a water change made sure new water tested the same as tank water. And now the favia looks great! He’s getting fluffy again and the areas where I saw his skeletal structures protruding are now not really visible!

I need to mention that I was also doing some research this morning on my lighting “radion g5 blues” and had just setup the ab+ spectrum and left it as is thinking that’s was good enough.... was watching a BRS video and Randy mentioned that for LPS he found that the point intensity for a 60 gal cube (mine is a 56 at same depth) should only be set at 20% which gives LPS a or of 75-150 in the sand. I went into my mobius app and realized that the standard ab+ setting has 100% intensity! I lowered it to 30 for now (plan to rent a par meter) and I already like the color of the tank better. This could also explain why some of the other LPS corals were looking a little washed out and not as colorful....

So in the end, it could be a combination of the water change and the light change that my favia is looking better...? Idk... but figured I’d share mainly because I had been searching bout favia corals and nothing was matching what I needed. Figured someone else out there may have something similar. I’m leaning towards too much light and the Favia was basically getting “baked”... live and learn! Hoping for a full recovery!
 
I would say its the lighting change that helped. I kept favia under a Kessil A160 WE Tuna blue (low par) for a couple years and it grew like crazy.
 
That’s exactly what I’m thinking.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new