RED FLAG valves ???

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am building a new 300 gallon tank and i was given the link to supplyhouse.com for fitting and they sell red flag valves for a great price but im afraid it may come at a cost. for instance a 3/4" true union schedule 80 valve on BRS (cepex) is $22.00, the same thing made by (red flag) is $5.49 on supplyhouse.com.

PLEASE ADVISE AS IT WOULD CUT HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS FROM MY BUDGET...

what to do...

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try Spears brand name..maybe a local commercial plumbing supply house has them for a good price,,Spears is very good name brand too

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try Spears brand name..maybe a local commercial plumbing supply house has them for a good price,,Spears is very good name brand too
spears is good also but they are the same as cepex, i know they are good quality but was wondering if the red flag is bad quality or maybe they just dont mark up there products so much... i am not afraid of spending the money on a higher quality valve but dont want to waste money just because ....

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between Cepex and Red Flag is the tolerances and quality. Cepex valves have to meet a higher level of quality control to ensure they stay smooth and require minimal force to open and close. The Red Flag products sacrifice this for price. Honestly, I'd go Red Flag for the unimportant things and Cepex for the items that are important. Maybe use Red Flag for non-life support important items, like carbon/GFO reactors or skimmers etc. Cepex on the return pump and drains. This would help cut cost, but ensure in times of emergency, you won't be fighting with a stuck valve.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red flag ball valves are crap. I bought a bunch of them, and the majority ended up leaking. Replaced them all with better quality GF, spears or Cepex. I've got a few GF valves that are 25 year old and still working. Not a place to skimp IME.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i understand and that is what i wanted to know, if anyone had any experience with the valves, i assumed they were not quality since the price was so cheap vs all the rest but wanted to get some first person recommendations.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back