Red foot ritteri

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of parameter swings did you experience while changing things around?

What kind of lights is it under now and what was it under before?

Does he still have the flat piece to mount himself on or did you change it?

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of parameter swings did you experience while changing things around?

What kind of lights is it under now and what was it under before?

Does he still have the flat piece to mount himself on or did you change it?

I couldn't detect any with testing but now thay you mention it, I may go get a new nitrate test because after seeing the water I took out nitrates must have spiked.

Right now it's under T5 and it's always been under T5 in my tank.

I kept the nem on the same piece of rock and positioned it in more or less the same spot with what looked like the same flow.

For the past two days it has been on the back glass going from left to right to left to right and so on.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did he reach the back glass? Did he float over to it or does he have a pathway to walk?

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How did he reach the back glass? Did he float over to it or does he have a pathway to walk?
I used to have it isolated on rock but didn't like the look at all so when I redid the rock it, the rock it was on was incorporated in main scape. Because of that it can now roam the tank as it pleases. It never floated anywhere to my knowledge just walking.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have another anemones of any time including maxi's?
I have found that Mags dont like other anemones...

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 tube anemones, but they aren't close to eachother.

It dont matter, in a closed system they can sense each other through allelopathy sometimes . It could be the problem, I have never kept a mag with a tube anemone to say for sure though..

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture of the new setup please, focusing on the rock it's supposed to be on? These guys are really finicky with placement and it may just need a small adjustment to get it to where it won't wander.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a FTS
e3c4965e2316d47a87a738e09f3de188.jpg

And the nem used to be here. Right now my sps are located there because it moved to where I had my sps.
72ee72a9823f75b56fb3768d83c0c4d6.jpg

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my experience, they tend to walk around/feel around a little bit (with their foot) and attempt to get to the highest point they possibly can (most light). They don't like to float and I've only seen them try that when they are extremely unhappy. I believe the reason your island worked before is because it was sectioned off away from the rest of the reef. If it was me, I would take that piece you have been using, glue a piece to the bottom of it, then glue it on the left or right or center of the rock, creating a little island of sorts for it. Just make sure it can't physically touch the sides of the tank and I would bet he would stay put.

Heck you could maybe even break part of that rock in half and use part as the pedestal. You just need to do something to get it away from contact with the wall and away from contact with other rocks.

Here's how I worked it out with a nem I bought from somebody who couldn't keep it from climbing the walls in their tank. This tank is a month old, he's been in there the entire time and hasn't moved once. THis is the same method I use in my 125G to keep the 3 in there stationary.

OFD0Bjo.jpg

BTW, I'm jelly. I have 2 purple base, purple tent, green tips, I do not have a red base, purple tent, green tips and for me it's on my "bucket list" of things I want for a tank.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the advise Amoo. I'll try to work something up in the upcoming days. I may need to go buy more rock.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some bad news to report. This morning the nem was all nice and dandy looking great on it's new spot. I came home from work early and found it stuck in the overflow. It was ripped all sorts of ways, I haven't personally seen any damage like that in person. Kinda emotional for me, since it was so hard to find and my most prized thing in the tank. It caused my topoff to dump a lot of RO in the tank and I'm so devastated thay I almost want to take the tank down.

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bad news to report. This morning the nem was all nice and dandy looking great on it's new spot. I came home from work early and found it stuck in the overflow. It was ripped all sorts of ways, I haven't personally seen any damage like that in person. Kinda emotional for me, since it was so hard to find and my most prized thing in the tank. It caused my topoff to dump a lot of RO in the tank and I'm so devastated thay I almost want to take the tank down.

Oh man...sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose a gorgeous nem. Hang in there. I made a few mistakes and didn't QT so I understand losses. Give it time. The hobby can be tough emotionally, but we can always strive to do better next time.

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so tempted to setup a shallow 30 for a nice ritteri. Wish I could place one in my carpet cube with my gigs.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I was driving around to the local shops the other day and found this guy. Not close to my ritteri but could still turn out really nice.

dfb9f5e71b63b08d2b5afcb311f97378.jpg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back