Red Hair Algae....

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...r-a-full-rework-skip-cycle-reassembly.525310/

provides proof, other peoples tanks. It is easy to fix your red hair algae using that. all other methods are playing around, and don't have many examples to draw from other than the poster's own tank. that method corrects: cyano, dinos, invasive macro algae, greenwater, bacterial blooms, bryopsis and all brush algae, gha, red hair all, we're searching for invasions it doesn't cure... kinda as a dare. post up before pics, get a custom job listed, put back together an uninvaded tank so easy. we would never ask to know your parameters, your nitrate or your phosphate. We'd also not care what the ID of your invader is. those have no bearing on being invaded.
Specifically, due to anchoring and density of coverage, brush algae like yours cause the most detritus retention inside live rocks.

Anyone knows if you take pristine live rock and set it in a white paint bucket for two hours, detritus forms at the bottom due to animals always expelling

but in the case of full algal coverage, that's being pent up. You'll need to clean the whole tank since patching has been allowed over the majority, if pics match the way the tank is.

Either way, aquarists always press for the least work, dont
B

OP
OP
BellaCoop

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is looking a LOT better! I moved all the corals out of the way, took them out and gave the edges a little brush with a tooth brush, went through everything that had it on there and brushed it off. Sucked up the sand and vacuumed all of it out, turned the flow very high so any Algae left over would be spinning around the tank and put a Net to catch any left overs that would be flowing around the tank.

It looks 80% better! With one more water change it will be cleared I am hoping.

@FGourdin Yes i use RO and Pre Mixed salt from the same store i always use. It may have came on a coral i got i was thinking because my tanks are always pretty good and clean. When i was doing more research it just reproduces super fast!

Thank you all for your advice!! I considered it all and wanted to try this first before i made any big changes with the tank! Thank you R2R truly have one of the best communities!
#reefsqaud
#r2rcommunity

cline02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae management bible as prescribed by fish_sticks

The rules of algae management:

1. do not make sudden changes, do not use hydrogen peroxide, do not turn off your lights and perform a tank blackout (this is not only bad for your corals, but your fish), or do anything that would be described as a fast fix. These strategies do not work long term. As soon as you stop dosing, as soon as you turn back on the lights, the algae will come back. These are foolish strategies.

2. patience. Understand that it will take a few weeks or even a month to fix the problem. This hobby is based on the slowest changing thing in the world, the ocean. Patience is required to achieve success in the hobby.

3. algae is not a bad thing. Sure its ugly, but its not going to crash your tank in a few weeks. Every single tank on the planet has algae, there is no way to get rid of it. The secret that nobody talks about, is that you never get rid of algae, you control algae.

4. during this process, you should be manually removing algae from the tank when it reaches high levels, or when it threatens the well being of your corals and fish.

5. do not do too much too fast. Take things slow and focus on changing your habits. The algae will dissipate with time if you perform a responsible maintenance routine. Plus, fish love a little snack of fresh grown algae, they are probably having a ball while they watch you run around like a crazy person changing a hundred things on the tank and ruining the balance of the ecosystem.

6. this bible assumes that you arent running your lights for longer than 14/16 hours. Although algae likes light, it cannot survive on just light. If you have a dirty tank, you can grow algea with lights on for only a few hours a day. Fix the real problem...

Why do you have algae? Its plain and simple, don't let anyone fool you.
Your tank is dirty; maybe not chemically, but physically.

Nitrate levels around 10-20 are perfectly fine. Phosphates dont even really matter that much. Algae doesn't even really like nitrogen, what they do love, is ammonia!

For algae to use nitrogen, they must convert it into ammonia.

Algae love ammonia because it is less work for algae to consume ammonia than nitrogen.

When detritus (fish poop, uneaten food) breaks down into ammonia, the ammonia is usually taken up by the bacteria in your rock; however, because algae love ammonia, I personally believe and have experienced that algae can use ammonia before the bacteria have a chance. This causes some bacteria to die off and for the algae to get worse over time. Can you see how this would create a snowball effect? Your algae is essentially taking over your bacteria. This gets even worse because the algae also contributes to clogging up your rock and taking up valuable surface area that bacteria need to live. So essentially, I believe, that the algae can overtake your bacteria when it comes to using ammonia.

So, if you remove the detritus, you solve your algae problems. Don't let anyone fool you otherwise!

Where is the detritus?
It can be in the holes and pores of your rock.

Fix: use a turkey baster to blast out only a few rocks per day, overtime your equipment (skimmer or filter socks) will collect the detritus. You also create more surface area for bacteria to live inside the rocks.​
It can be in your sand bed.
Fix: Vacuum out your sand bed with a gravel vacuum. This can and should be done on a regular basis during your routine water changes, and you kill two birds with one stone; changing the water, and cleaning detritus! I like to vacuum out with my right hand, hold the end of the hose with my left, and control the flow of water in the siphon hose with my left hand fingers.​
It can be in your equipment.
Fix: Clean your equipment on a regular basis, check any sponges, filter floss, pumps, wavemaker suction cups. Detritus can get lodged anywhere.​
It can be in your sump.
Fix: I like to suck it up with a turkey baster. The best part about the baster is you can use it to blow water out, or suck things up.​
It can be in your macroalgae (if you're growing macroalgae).
Fix: After a small 1G water change, just shake out your chaeto macroalgae in your water change water.​
Great so now I can go crazy cleaning my tank right?
Not so fast. Doing too much at one time can cause your tank to crash. Only do a fair amount of maintenance a day. Doing too much than your equipment can handle will cause your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate production to rise too much too fast. This is not so much about getting rid of the algae as much as it is improving your maintenance habits. If you fix your habits, the algae will be under control; and stay under control.
How do I avoid detritus buildup?
Well if you look around your tank, I'm sure you can find dead spots where water inst flowing very well. See if you can find some dead spots and fix them.

If you have a power head pointed directly at a rock, its gonna lodge a bunch of crud into there.

But I have friends coming over and I want my tank to look nice fast.
That's just too bad. The algae has be slowly gaining power overtime and getting stronger and stronger though weeks of work because you have detritus build up. If you think you can fix all that in one or two weeks, then you're out of luck.

But I have super duper deadly byopsis, cotton candy algae, (insert buzzword terrible evil algea here, AHHHH NITRATES ARE AT 11 PPM IM GONNA DIE, I NEED TO USE PHOSBAN ASAP. IM NEVER GONNA FEED MY FISH AGAIN!!!! MAYBE I NEED TO RIP OUT ALL MY ROCK AND TOSS IN IN BLEACH !!!! OR JUST CHANGE MY T5 BULBS AND IT WILL GO AWAY AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!)
Calm dowwwwwn. So what. All algae does the same thing. They feed off the ammonia produced by the detritus in your aquarium. You can carefully physically remove the algae just like normal, remain calm, dont do anything too fast, dont result to stupid quick fixes, and follow the algae bible.

Lots and lots of people are gonna tell you otherwise, but that's not their fault.
This is your tank.
You've been given the algae bible. If you don't use it, your tank will only have you to blame, not random people on the forums who suggested you try a couple of foolish quick fixes in a hobby based entirely on patience; based around the slowest changing thing in the entire world, the ocean.
I'm new to saltwater aquarium but I am in love already! I also noticed red hairlike algae on my rocks today so i greatly appreciate this information.

boognish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. do not make sudden changes, do not use hydrogen peroxide, do not turn off your lights and perform a tank blackout (this is not only bad for your corals, but your fish), or do anything that would be described as a fast fix. These strategies do not work long term. As soon as you stop dosing, as soon as you turn back on the lights, the algae will come back. These are foolish strategies.

2. patience. Understand that it will take a few weeks or even a month to fix the problem. This hobby is based on the slowest changing thing in the world, the ocean. Patience is required to achieve success in the hobby.

3. algae is not a bad thing. Sure its ugly, but its not going to crash your tank in a few weeks. Every single tank on the planet has algae, there is no way to get rid of it. The secret that nobody talks about, is that you never get rid of algae, you control algae.

4. during this process, you should be manually removing algae from the tank when it reaches high levels, or when it threatens the well being of your corals and fish.

5. do not do too much too fast. Take things slow and focus on changing your habits. The algae will dissipate with time if you perform a responsible maintenance routine. Plus, fish love a little snack of fresh grown algae, they are probably having a ball while they watch you run around like a crazy person changing a hundred things on the tank and ruining the balance of the ecosystem.

6. this bible assumes that you arent running your lights for longer than 14/16 hours. Although algae likes light, it cannot survive on just light. If you have a dirty tank, you can grow algea with lights on for only a few hours a day. Fix the real problem...

Nitrate levels around 10-20 are perfectly fine. Phosphates dont even really matter that much. Algae doesn't even really like nitrogen, what they do love, is ammonia!

Algae love ammonia because it is less work for algae to consume ammonia than nitrogen.

When detritus (fish poop, uneaten food) breaks down into ammonia, the ammonia is usually taken up by the bacteria in your rock; however, because algae love ammonia, I personally believe and have experienced that algae can use ammonia before the bacteria have a chance. This causes some bacteria to die off and for the algae to get worse over time. Can you see how this would create a snowball effect? Your algae is essentially taking over your bacteria. This gets even worse because the algae also contributes to clogging up your rock and taking up valuable surface area that bacteria need to live. So essentially, I believe, that the algae can overtake your bacteria when it comes to using ammonia.

So, if you remove the detritus, you solve your algae problems. Don't let anyone fool you otherwise!

Where is the detritus?

Fix: use a turkey baster to blast out only a few rocks per day, overtime your equipment (skimmer or filter socks) will collect the detritus. You also create more surface area for bacteria to live inside the rocks.​
Fix: Vacuum out your sand bed with a gravel vacuum. This can and should be done on a regular basis during your routine water changes, and you kill two birds with one stone; changing the water, and cleaning detritus! I like to vacuum out with my right hand, hold the end of the hose with my left, and control the flow of water in the siphon hose with my left hand fingers.​
Fix: Clean your equipment on a regular basis, check any sponges, filter floss, pumps, wavemaker suction cups. Detritus can get lodged anywhere.​
It can be in your sump.
Fix: I like to suck it up with a turkey baster. The best part about the baster is you can use it to blow water out, or suck things up.​
Fix: After a small 1G water change, just shake out your chaeto macroalgae in your water change water.​
Not so fast. Doing too much at one time can cause your tank to crash. Only do a fair amount of maintenance a day. Doing too much than your equipment can handle will cause your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate production to rise too much too fast. This is not so much about getting rid of the algae as much as it is improving your maintenance habits. If you fix your habits, the algae will be under control; and stay under control.
Well if you look around your tank, I'm sure you can find dead spots where water inst flowing very well. See if you can find some dead spots and fix them.

If you have a power head pointed directly at a rock, its gonna lodge a bunch of crud into there.

That's just too bad. The algae has be slowly gaining power overtime and getting stronger and stronger though weeks of work because you have detritus build up. If you think you can fix all that in one or two weeks, then you're out of luck.

But I have super duper deadly byopsis, cotton candy algae, (insert buzzword terrible evil algea here, AHHHH NITRATES ARE AT 11 PPM IM GONNA DIE, I NEED TO USE PHOSBAN ASAP. IM NEVER GONNA FEED MY FISH AGAIN!!!! MAYBE I NEED TO RIP OUT ALL MY ROCK AND TOSS IN IN BLEACH !!!! OR JUST CHANGE MY T5 BULBS AND IT WILL GO AWAY AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!)
Calm dowwwwwn. So what. All algae does the same thing. They feed off the ammonia produced by the detritus in your aquarium. You can carefully physically remove the algae just like normal, remain calm, dont do anything too fast, dont result to stupid quick fixes, and follow the algae bible.

Lots and lots of people are gonna tell you otherwise, but that's not their fault.
This is your tank.
You've been given the algae bible. If you don't use it, your tank will only have you to blame, not random people on the forums who suggested you try a couple of foolish quick fixes in a hobby based entirely on patience; based around the slowest changing thing in the entire world, the ocean.
woohoooo!!!

scottberto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where is the detritus?

It can be in your sump.

This is your tank.
I just want to let you know that I followed this and it worked. 6 months of algae, used this process and within 2 months I would say 90-95% of the algae is gone and I'm absolutely fine with having a little algae showing because it looks like a real reef. Thank you so much.

corymantx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where is the detritus?

It can be in your sump.

This is your tank.
Having a red algae problem right now and this helped tons. Thank you!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back