Red(ish) dirt in sand

SaltyKP

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 30, 2022
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
San Jose
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone can ID the problem with my sand.

I have a 55 gal tank with some fish and mostly softies (Duncan, torch, fuzzy mushroom, zoas, rock flower anemone, etc). I also have snails, hermit crabs, a signal goby (named Traffic ), a conch, a sea hare, and a sand shifting starfish, but my sand still has a lot of red powder on top.

My tank is over a year old and everything seems fine. Corals are eating. Fish are over 9 months in the tank.

The phosphate does bounce around quite a bit… but other stats are steady.

Thoughts?
IMG_7305.jpeg
IMG_7341.jpeg IMG_7342.jpeg IMG_7343.jpeg
 
Looks like Cyanobacteria. Test your nitrates and phosphates. And then try some water changes and siphoning the redness. I have had this in my tank for a few weeks now but I think it is almost gone after I’m doing this. Also try turn down white light
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new