Red Mushroom is tuliping or trumpeting?

FLReeferMadness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 5 red mushrooms that spurred from one a few months ago.

I swapped to Kessils this past week and my mushrooms are aiming up like a tulip. Or folding upward to look like the end of a trumpet. These are not the best pictures of it happening but you can get an idea what I am talking about it does get worse.

Water flow has not been changed only lights. Could this be to little or to much light? They look like they are reaching toward the light but I got to say these lights are brighter then my previous I believe.

Thanks

Last edited:

jeric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have had this happen from time to time in a prior set up. I can't remember the lighting set up but decided not to stress to much as they were still reproducing and seemed generally happy. The mushrooms in my case were the blue green variety.

How long has this been going on for you?

OP
OP
F

FLReeferMadness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only about 3 days now under the kessils. Never happened before hand and I have had these mushrooms a good 8 months now. My 2 Kessil a360we are set at about 75% intensity so I would not think its to little light. But who knows?

jeric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...I always tend to feel when they reach like that it's the light, but I agree the kessil should be plenty of light. Might be adjusting to spectrum change? That is purely guessing, but I am not sure what would be causing this. Hopefully someone with some more knowledge can chime in for you.

OP
OP
F

FLReeferMadness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for following Jeric. Somebody will chime in soon. I have been adjusting the spectrum manually thoughout the day and the time is not always the same. This could be the case? Controller in the near future for me.

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just been reading Borneman's book on Corals - highly recommended and was up to the Mushrooms chapter. In it, it says "While expansion of the polyp has sen shown to influence the exposure of zooxanthellae, this trumpeting trait ... has been shown repeatedly to be an accommodation to maximize prey capture and modulate water flows across the coral surface". It also goes on to say that it may be a response to moving detritus inward toward the mouth.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
F

FLReeferMadness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks shornik!! I thought it might be a feeding thing. I fed marine snow an hour or so before I noticed. Maybe that is it!

Thanks everyone.

Spectacular Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's been a few years...however...what did you discover? Mine are trumpeting as well.

Spectacular Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's been a few years...however...what did you discover? Mine are trumpeting as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back