View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some before and after shots?

20190212_132813.jpg
20190331_134102.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were a betting man, looking at the before and after shots the algae looks healthy in the first photo I would surmise it is getting too much light. It now looks pale green and withered. The same thing happened to some Halymenia Durville (dragons breath) that I have in my refugium but the color wasn't such a pronounced green but more pale pink with subtle hints of green. Additionally, as jefra points out it does look malnourished but if that is in combination with lighting or just lighting I couldn't say. Try placing in lower light or adjust lighting intensity if you can and see how it responds.
Read; https://www.reefcleaners.org/macroalgae-care

OP
OP
seitzjh

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were a betting man, looking at the before and after shots the algae looks healthy in the first photo I would surmise it is getting too much light. It now looks pale green and withered. The same thing happened to some Halymenia Durville (dragons breath) that I have in my refugium but the color wasn't such a pronounced green but more pale pink with subtle hints of green. Additionally, as jefra points out it does look malnourished but if that is in combination with lighting or just lighting I couldn't say. Try placing in lower light or adjust lighting intensity if you can and see how it responds.
Read; https://www.reefcleaners.org/macroalgae-care
I did noticed before it was getting pale green. After I lowered the light intensity it stop turning almost see through, it started turning just green. I'll try to lower intensity more and see what happens.

Thank you

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did noticed before it was getting pale green. After I lowered the light intensity it stop turning almost see through, it started turning just green. I'll try to lower intensity more and see what happens.

Thank you
Like this
IMG_20190801_232300.jpg

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro also need certain elements to thrive. I lost my Gracilaria until I started dosing triton which adds nutrients/elements for macro. I'm not saying you should do triton, just saying that I would look into the stuff macro needs. Mine did the same at first. Now I am running mix of Chaeto and Gracilaria and they are both awesome and compete equally. The fuge is so effiencient that I needed to dial back my photo hours to keep my N and P > 0.

Also as post above, don't do more that 11 hrs a day photo period. Macro needs recovery time every day. Dial it back and see what happens.

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gathered that speciman from the coast last night. There was loads of it just like that less than a metre from the surface.
It's pretty warm here, ocean water temp was 33C, and outside about 45. Bright sun all day so that may have had something to do with it

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your photo period is good, the algae can take a lot of light if it has the nutrients. I would get that right first and then crank it up
It's wonderful when you manage to get a balanced system like that. .

Honestly I love the sump as much as the tank. Smells like my childhood on the ocean.

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the algae I posted above was collected on Thursday night, and you could see it looked pretty "green" or bleached.
This on Friday afternoon, started getting some red in it again ...
IMG_20190803_113512.jpg

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thank you

What are your nitrates and phosphates at? If it doesnt recover, let us know, and next order, we can throw some more in :)

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm experiencing this same issue. The tank is new and basically unoccupied other than some freshwater mollies I converted to live in saltwater. The nutrients are low I'm sure so perhaps it was too early to add macros? I added some Red Ogo from Algae Barn and within 24hrs it was bleaching.

IMG_20191031_122505.jpg
IMG_20191102_163401.jpg

I ran the light for about 6hrs on the day after I added the algae and when I got home it was bleaching. I turned off the lights and didn't run them yesterday... Still bleached white so I probably killed it with either too much light or not enough nutrients? The Chaeto still looks fine... It's a shame, that red Ogo was beautiful! Maybe I'll try again once the tank is a few months older?

IMG_20191102_163352.jpg

BTW also added some pods.

IMG_20191031_141927__01.jpg

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I doubt it was lighting, we keep our red ogo under a crazy high par (250W of LEDs in a small footprint). Red Ogo does like a lot of nutrients. Send me your order number and we can get you a replacement (we can ship or we can include 4oz on your next order).

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it was lighting, we keep our red ogo under a crazy high par (250W of LEDs in a small footprint). Red Ogo does like a lot of nutrients. Send me your order number and we can get you a replacement (we can ship or we can include 4oz on your next order).

Thanks!

Order #73916

I'd say if possible just include one on my next order in a couple months. Give me some time to build up my nutrient levels. I appreciate it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back