Red on Dragon soul torch

Mitch0928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently purchased a dragon soul torch from a store about 2 hours from me. i had it shipped and it arrived today. i am now beginning the acclimation process but i noticed this red squishy stuff on one side of it. does anyone know what this is and if it’s toxic? if it’s bad i would like to send the retailer a pic to make sure i get a refund ASAP

image.jpg

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would send the retailer a pic anyways just to ask what it is, they may have some more detailed info on what it could be. I would suggest either blasting it off with turkey baster or scraping/cuttign it off, but it may be a part of the animal so you wouldnt want to hurt it. #reedsquad we need help. will be following tho, avid torch/euphyllia lover.

OP
OP
Mitch0928

Mitch0928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would send the retailer a pic anyways just to ask what it is, they may have some more detailed info on what it could be. I would suggest either blasting it off with turkey baster or scraping/cuttign it off, but it may be a part of the animal so you wouldnt want to hurt it. #reedsquad we need help. will be following tho, avid torch/euphyllia lover.
just sent them an email and they replied within 10 mins. i was told it’s a harmless sponge that i can crape off with a toothbrush!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get rid of it, it looks like where the torch skin is touching the sponge it's receding. Anyone else see that? I'm just overly cautious when it comes to my euphyllia.
1601999554355.png

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far no luck. For $250 and a WYSIWYG i would not have purchased this if i knew there was a bright red sponge on it. I’m going to try and get a refund as this is honestly unacceptable.
Seriously? How is a sponge attached to a frag unacceptable? Are you gonna be upset if there was coraline on the plug? Like what?
it’s a harmless sponge, that most people would be happy to receive.

OP
OP
Mitch0928

Mitch0928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously? How is a sponge attached to a frag unacceptable? Are you gonna be upset if there was coraline on the plug? Like what?
For $250 i would not have expected a sponge to be ON THE TORCH not on the plug. Why would i want a bright red sponge on my new torch that had no sponge in the pictures?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like that the torch is receding slightly, but if you don’t want the sponge I’d happily buy the torch from you. I have an angel that loves to eat the sponges!

OP
OP
Mitch0928

Mitch0928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like that the torch is receding slightly, but if you don’t want the sponge I’d happily buy the torch from you. I have an angel that loves to eat the sponges!
I love the torch because it’s by far the best looking one i’ve seen for the price plus it’s a double head so i’m going to see how it does but the receding worries me. I’ll try my best to keep you posted!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the torch you are saying? And yes. Upon further inspection, i do see what you are talking about
Let me rephrase... Remove the sponge from the torch, I wouldn't even chance it in the tank. If you don't know it is and don't know the reaction it will have why risk it on a $250 piece?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sponge is harmless. Don’t worry about it. If you’ve taken it out of the water, it will most likely start withering away anyway.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain to me what coralline algae is? I always hear/read about it here and never know what it means, and the internet never helps. Anyone?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep in mind i’m only 17 so purchasing a $250 piece without a job is a big deal to me so i’d expect it to be perfect. sorry if you disagree but keeping a reef tank at 17 is difficult :)
Getting a job when ur a young reefer is NECESSARY! Im 15 and I got a job just so I could pay for stuff.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back