Red planaria

TerraVlog

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 4, 2025
Messages
32
Reaction score
17
Location
Poland
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Lately I've noticed that Red Planaria flatworms have started appearing on the front glass of my aquarium. The tank is almost 3 years old and everything else seems fine. What should I do about them?

I also have two questions:

Why are they so fragile? I wanted to observe one under a microscope, but they are quite mobile, so I tried to kill one first. However, when I put it in tap water, it “burst.” When I tried to deprive it of water, it also burst.

When I finally managed to observe one, I noticed it was made up of a transparent membrane and something that looked like tiny hairs. It also released an orange fluid that looked like a clump of cells (microscope photo below).
https://files.fm/u/fbsm2y8pnb(Idk why but admins changed the way you can upload pics so its the only way i could do it)

As for their presence—should I be worried? I have a mandarin dragonet, but it ignores them and doesn’t want to eat them.
 
Gotta be careful with red planaria, when they die they release toxins.
Manual removal when doing water changes it best, suck them up with the hose.
Otherwise flatworm x and run carbon and monitor the tank
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new