Red Sea 425xl Deluxe - First Build Thread!

EscMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I can’t believe I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a new tank. The black friday deals were just enough to push me over the edge. I was debating between the Waterbox 130.4 for the entire week but I ended up deciding on the Red Sea.

I also finally get to start my own build thread! I am going to take my time getting the tank up and running before adding anything. I have a ton of rock that I ended up leaving outside for the last couple years so my next step is to bleach and then cure all the rocks I plan on using.

So the first thing I want to do is set up a rough timeline. My steps in order are currently below. Any input on those in question marks is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Assemble tank
Clean and cure rocks(same time together)
plan/install of apex and controllers and wiring(same time together)
Add rock, sand, and water and start flow(vectra m1 & 2x mp40s)
Turn lights on
Add chaeto and light to refugium???
Add pods to display and fuge
Add initial cuc???
calc, alk, mag ready for corrals???
Start first dosing???
Transfer first fish
Transfer first corals

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank. You can't go wrong with the RS Reefer...they are such good looking tanks. Signing up to follow along on this one.

OP
OP
E

EscMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start cleaning my rocks this weekend. Anyone know how much bleach I should use and for how long? Just putting it into a tub and running with some old powerheads.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend 10:1 RO/DI:bleach for 1-2 weeks, then 1-2 weeks RO/DI with dechlorinator with a 100% water change in the middle.

OP
OP
E

EscMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! Some updates. Got the tank via freight delivery finally on Thursday. Will post pictures when I get around to assembly. First batch of rock is done bleaching and will be put into the dt with ro and declorinator for lack of more containers. Second batch of rock will then go into bleach for two more weeks.

I have a drinking water rodi(I think) system that i had installed when i first moved in and was wondering how and where I should add a t so that I can use this for ro water for the tank. If anyone has input on whether this water isnt good enough for the tank please let me know. Ive included pictures of the rodi setup I have.

3E5B2BF9-DF47-4FD5-8C4B-E1F653A0F53E.jpeg

820C82A7-CAA1-42AA-BFB6-B678F65B4E52.jpeg

062525E5-843F-44A3-A4C5-BC63EC3E5EE1.jpeg

OP
OP
E

EscMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to get a diagram from their customer service! Mine doesnt have K. I am planning on adding the T at my red arrow. The J filter is meant to remove bad taste so I dont think is necessary?

A9D6DBCF-5BC0-4EA7-A1C2-73A24F4EDD93.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This looks like an RO system for drinking water and lacks the DI filtration. You should be able to add a T to add deionization to your current system if you wanted (but after the stage you drink from). It would not be too expensive and looks like you could plumb it right in if you have space.

I would check the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids, a digital probe is about $20) of the output and see where it is. Ideally you want 0 TDS water to mix salt and top off. If you have this kind of system for drinking water, your incoming TDS may be pretty high.

OP
OP
E

EscMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like an RO system for drinking water and lacks the DI filtration. You should be able to add a T to add deionization to your current system if you wanted (but after the stage you drink from). It would not be too expensive and looks like you could plumb it right in if you have space.

I would check the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids, a digital probe is about $20) of the output and see where it is. Ideally you want 0 TDS water to mix salt and top off. If you have this kind of system for drinking water, your incoming TDS may be pretty high.

Thanks! i will actually be picking up the BRS Dual DI add on with the built in tds. Should be perfect.

OP
OP
E

EscMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh.... this seems like a bad idea haha.

So there was a snafu with my delivery and because of the delays the shipping company gave permission to the delivery driver to help me move everything into my place since I wouldnt have anyone available to help. We placed the tank on my dining table which is very robust and has felt feet installed so I can slide it. I was hoping the heights would be closer though.

I got this...

05BD1309-EBFC-4C7A-911A-E8B961E6ABC8.jpeg

OP
OP
E

EscMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas everyone. Back at it again. Rock is now in fresh rodi with some prime. Debating on doing a vinegar bath for a week after.

Working on outting the plumbing together and this middle piece is a whole 3/4” off from the bracket. Not too big a deal as I can move the bracket but wasnt even close.

3F40FD59-1E89-4E34-AFE3-5DB4AC5A58EB.jpeg

Last edited:

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice build soo far! I just pit together a reefer nano for my upstairs apartment! Unfortunitely my varios 2 return pump is making alot of noise so im probably going to be delayed while i sort that out. Anyway im trying to decide on a cabinet for next to the tank. Do you happen to know what the name of that particular ikea one is?

Also i discovered if you place a flashlight into the over flow section of the tank you can see through it from the outside. I did this to verify that my standpipes where all the way in place. I ended up seeing one of mine was not completely tight and gave it a final turn. No leaks in my plumbing! Just thought i would share!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back