OP
OP
T

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a leak at pvc assembly that Red Sea valve is on at the union fitting where they glued it. I took a q tip with pvc glue and re applied to the outside and it sealed up. Water test passed added salt, got the gurgling out of it with fine tuning water level 1/2 inch from emergency pipe. Installed gyre and hopefully will start cycle tomorrow.

IMG_3104.JPG

IMG_3108.JPG

IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG

James Kanouff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents, take half that rock out.
Add a big bag of rowa because inevitably the rock will leach some stuff out and start an algae cycle of growing and dieing in the light cycle. That or start doing major water changes with cheap salt weekly till the nutrients come down. luckily the rock was dry rock but still its full of dead stuff from when it was alive at one point. I feel like the trend is now more water less rocks n sand. I'm not a fan of sand, I go BB but its more a personal preference. But again on the rock take half out. It gives the crud and fish too many places to hide. And cuts down the flow too much. leave little room for coral growth and everything immediately looks crowded. Definitely add some of the dense rocks to empty space in the sump after filter socks if possible. can always pull them and rinse them in a bucket of water change water once and awhile and give pods a place to live and extra biological filtration too. Marine pure is even better for this I think. Love your other tanks. This bigger tank will really help with stability and give you room to grow into. Enjoy, keep us posted on progress everyone loves a tank build tread.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its early in the cycle but how are you liking those custom poly filter holders? I was pointed to this thread as I was thinking of doing the same but with a mesh filter sock, but those look nice!

OP
OP
T

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its early in the cycle but how are you liking those custom poly filter holders? I was pointed to this thread as I was thinking of doing the same but with a mesh filter sock, but those look nice!
B
Devaji,
I actually have not got them yet, they are in route from Australia now, 7-10 business days to arrive. Once I get them I will put them through the trails, however since I do not have a established tank yet, will not be able to comment on performance. Anyways I will post my findings.

Dr.HarlemTutu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the too much rock. I'd vary the height of the rock and not go more than 1/2 way up the tank. Leave room for stuff to grow. Also, the sand bed... I haven't done a deep sand. Ed in well over a decade. You should look deep sand bed up so you can know how to maintain it. I do love the branch rock though!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B
Devaji,
I actually have not got them yet, they are in route from Australia now, 7-10 business days to arrive. Once I get them I will put them through the trails, however since I do not have a established tank yet, will not be able to comment on performance. Anyways I will post my findings.
oh I got confused there, I remember you saying they were make in auss. but then I thought I saw TX too. yes plz keep us posted!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this YouTube video for alternative for filter sock hassle. This guy is in Australia and very nice and helpful. I contacted him via faceboook messenger and he made me 4 of them for 160 plus 40 shipping. So I know I could have bought a lot of socks for 200 dollars but then I wanted something different. Once I get them I will update my findings.

IMG_3077.PNG

IMG_3078.PNG

Brilliant idea these seem to be. Interested to see how you get on with them.

OP
OP
T

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not resist and got the Kessil H-380 for the refugium after watching brs investigating video. Perhaps it was indeed to market and sell the 380, well it worked. By the way that is just temporary carbon bag in picture in a effort with the dead rock cycling smell. Oh my, does it make a distinctive odor.

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3142.PNG

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand bags recommend all that sand for the same reason the dog food bags recommend feeding your dog twice as much food as he really needs.....

Cjp63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the deep sand bed. It looks alot more natural compared to bare bottom and thin sand bed aquariums.

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this YouTube video for alternative for filter sock hassle. This guy is in Australia and very nice and helpful. I contacted him via faceboook messenger and he made me 4 of them for 160 plus 40 shipping. So I know I could have bought a lot of socks for 200 dollars but then I wanted something different. Once I get them I will update my findings.

IMG_3077.PNG

IMG_3078.PNG
302 aquatics out of delaware makes something similar and way closer :)

OP
OP
T

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree, it was definitely plug and play and productive from day one with minor adjustments to control pad for speed. I have had a tunze on my rsm 250 and it has performed flawlessly, so it was a no brainer on my selection.

OP
OP
T

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more filter bags, ever!! Still need to find a gasket for the holder, a little water bypasses the cups, but not enough to really matter. When I find the proper size it will force every drop through the cups. I am very happy with my purchase.

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3182.JPG

Katieandjon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very little forward progress until muscle help arrives. Perhaps this weekend until I can move it in place..

IMG_3061.JPG

Hi Tray333,

Congrats on the tank - following as ours is arriving 22nd Sept.

Interested to know just how heavy that tank is. I see you've got some suction cups on there - lots have people have told me they wouldn't trust them on the tank - could you have moved it without them? How many people did you need to lift it?

Thanks

OP
OP
T

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tray333,

Congrats on the tank - following as ours is arriving 22nd Sept.

Interested to know just how heavy that tank is. I see you've got some suction cups on there - lots have people have told me they wouldn't trust them on the tank - could you have moved it without them? How many people did you need to lift it?

Thanks
Katieandjon,
It is heavy, I did not weigh the tank myself but I assume it was close to 550 /600 pounds. The shipping weight was 845 on the bill of laden however that included the pallet of everything, stand, sump, salt, etc. I was not convinced of the suction cups either, however I had 8 of them so I was thinking the weight on each of them would not exceed 100 pounds for each one. I think the ones I got at harbour freight were good for 150 a piece. I triple checked each one with the seal before we lifted it. It took 4 big guys to lift it and one guy moving the floor dollies out of the way. The stand is tall so it was not very easy. As far doing this with out the cups (lifting from the bottom glass), I am sure it can be done but I was afraid of someone smashing Thier fingers on the stand. If I was to do it again I would trust the cup method.
Congratulations by the way, and good luck to you on your choice of however you get it safely on the stand.

Cjp63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Trey 333. Could you tell me the length and width of the space in the cabinet that does not have the filter on the right.

OP
OP
T

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle for about 2 months now. It took a while for the dry rock to settle down and not released loam tan colored water that my tunze was picking up every day. Have about 11 fish now, and about 25 sps. Still working on doser, went with kamoer x4 but have not started yet. Refugium broke out with gha along with cheato , I removed most of it now, and cheato is liking to h380 light. As my pictures below show just revived my custom top from artfully acrylic today and as others have said before me, they do excellent work. It really looks good and above my expectations in quality. Just don't be in a hury for one it takes some time, and their customer service has greatly improved in the last couple of weeks. So I would recommend them to all! Some of the pictures I left the protective covering on for contrast, but it looks better without it..

IMG_3406.JPG

IMG_3407.JPG

IMG_3408.JPG

IMG_3409.JPG

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back