OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Wow on those photo skills.

Curious why they were not the FIRST corals to go back in the rebuild.
Thanks. photography is my trade. Sometimes I’m just lazy and other times I take my time and do it right.

Space was the limiting factor. I had the new aquascape and a large amount of my old rock filling the space these would go in. Since they where safe and sound elsewhere it gave time for bacteria to populate on the new structures. Typically it can take 3-4 months for bacteria to fully populate. I’m just shy of 2 months on my system so I’m hoping I won’t have any issues.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. photography is my trade. Sometimes I’m just lazy and other times I take my time and do it right.

Space was the limiting factor. I had the new aquascape and a large amount of my old rock filling the space these would go in. Since they where safe and sound elsewhere it gave time for bacteria to populate on the new structures. Typically it can take 3-4 months for bacteria to fully populate. I’m just shy of 2 months on my system so I’m hoping I won’t have any issues.
My appreciation for your new scape has already been made known -- really solid.

Admit I am jealous how smooth this transition has gone. I've gone so much slower and it has been bumpy & sometimes ugly with the new rock. Nothing mortal, just some uglies similar to starting over with live rock not dead. Also less PE than typical. Seeing growth tips though so that got that going for me.

Keep the pics coming!

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank, corals, fish are all back together after a seam failure and complete system swap.

The system got a new aquascape as well as stand and glass tank. It’s the same size as what it was.

WAS ( Nov 5, 2020 )

NOW ( 17 Jan, 2021 )

Now this saga is complete and I can finally move ahead.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of removing a few corals from my rebuilt system. I have come to the conclusion that I want to go mostly SPS. So two of the 3 Zoa islands are gone. Also going to remove the Frogspawn. It's getting big and it will destroy the SPS in the tanks if it gets close to any. The clowns aren't going to appreciate it's removal.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to take these great pictures. 35mm digital?
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Yes I shoot with Canon cameras 5Dm4 and a 5Drs. Also I use the Canon 100mm Macro as well as the 180mm Macro.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of removing a few corals from my rebuilt system. I have come to the conclusion that I want to go mostly SPS. So two of the 3 Zoa islands are gone. Also going to remove the Frogspawn. It's getting big and it will destroy the SPS in the tanks if it gets close to any. The clowns aren't going to appreciate it's removal.
Where are you at in AZ? I'm in Gilbert.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprise. There are several reefers on this side of town. All the corals in question are already spoken for If that was your interest. I was just updating my tank journal.

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s getting 220 par to be exact.
So just looking at your FTS had me pondering, as I am kinda in the same position with an aquascape reboot. Put the fast growers down low, and the slow growers mid to upper levels? The whole reason I had to rip my reef apart was shading from the fast colonies that were hogging all the light and flow from the slower ones.

Of course when I built that reef the first time (eons ago) I didn't really know which acropora were going to go fast/slow. Hopefully, I am a bit better at forecasting that this time. :)

There are many factors to consider when scaping and placing. I think diverse colors drove my thinking last time almost exclusively. What factors are you prioritizing?

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say what I’m prioritizing to be honest. I guess you could say I’m prioritizing Acropora... LOL... Moved on allot of this and that corals. Initially I needed just to get all my original corals back into the tank. I have moved a few since originally placing them. But if I where to say one main thing I’m doing is providing space between them. I’m avoiding crowding.

The one down low is a weed. It grows quick, so it has lots of space. The Monti on the far left is not in an ideal spot and I don’t know if it’s going to stay.

Still plenty of time to rearrange as needed. Updates will likely be coming less frequently as the tank is really just in grow mode. I have 5 corals still to add that are in grow out elsewhere.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back